Friday, April 8, 2016

Beurre Blanc – This French Butter Sauce was Spot On

I can’t believe after all these years of posting videos, I hadn’t done a proper beurre blanc! Well, I guess I still haven’t, if you take into account bit of cream we sneak in, as beurre blanc purists do not approve. That’s okay; we’ll just distract them by pronouncing it wrong.

They consider it “cheating,” since adding cream helps you create a more stable base for emulsifying in cold cubes of butter. I don’t get how that’s a problem, unless the cream somehow ruined the taste of the sauce, but it doesn’t, and you could argue it actually enhances it. I also think it makes for an even more beautiful color.

Cream, or no, the technique is not at all difficult. Once your wine/acid mixture has reduced by about 75%, turn your heat to low, and whisk in the butter a few cubes at a time. That’s really it. By the way, feel free to use a saucepan for this. I used a sauté pan because it’s easier to film in, but it does make the process a little riskier.

You can switch up the type of vinegar, or go with lemon juice; and the shallots can be switched out for garlic, or finely minced onion. Chives are nice in this, but many other herbs will work, such as tarragon; or chervil, if you’re sexy. No matter how you pronounce it, or what ingredients you use in it, I really hope you give this easy sauce recipe a try soon. Enjoy!

Note: Yes, I can see there’s a spot of sauce splattered on the lens during the final scenes. These things will happen. Just pretend it’s not there. Thank you.


Ingredients for 4 portions Beurre Blanc:
1/2 cup of white wine
2 tablespoons lemon juice, or white wine vinegar, champagne vinegar, herb-infused white vinegar, etc.
2 teaspoons very finely minced shallots
2 tablespoons heavy cream
4 ounces of cold unsalted butter (1/2 cup or 1 stick), cut in one-inch cubes

16 comments:

DJ Alex said...

Hi Chef John!

I love your videos! Are there other dishes that beurre blanc would be good with? I tried looking it up on the internet but have only found it in conjunction with white fish. Looking forward to trying this recipe!

Kennapop3 said...

Quick, easy, and tasty, what's not to like? I forgot to say and "Gone". Now that is something to grouch about, is it not?

Anonymous said...

I cant believe it...you cheated. Heavy Cream :'''''''( Blasphemy!!!

Anonymous said...

...On a side note: I made my comment without checking the video or post first. Hi-larious! ;P

Chris said...

Can I make this sauce without the butter?

marque2 said...

I shall distract Jason Smith by pronouncing it wrong - Burr Blank, Burr Blank, Burr Blank ...

Tom Houy said...

I'm curious why the cream didn't curdle in the vinegar.

Chef John said...

Because of fat content, cream doesn't curdle. If you're scared, just wait until wine reduces, then add cream, then reduce, and then butter.

Unknown said...

Hey Chef John,

My girlfriend and I have been long time followers and fans of your videos and recipes. I've learned much from you throughout the years. Thank you sir, you continue to inspire us. We were just wondering when your cooking bacon on the stove you always mention to start it with a cold pan. We were wondering why that is as I used to always pre-heat the pan. Thanks a lot!!

-Drew

Bitterling said...

What foods is this good with? Obviously sea bass but that is not available in my neck of the woods. I would like to make this but wondered what to pair it with. Seems that I may have had a spicy version of this on grilled salmon.

Rabin said...

I tried this recipe last night and served it with pan seared scallops and pasta. My only addition was after sauce was done I added a tablespoon or two of freshly grated parmesan cheese to it as well as some cayenne pepper of course. It was to die for. Definitely a keeper.

Bill said...

Do you think it would be good on sauted spinach or rotisserie chicken. Don't answer because I just did it! And it rocks.

whispering death said...

I'd appreciate a nutritional fact sheet with these recipes since they are being stated as healthy!

Chef John said...

Sure, no problem, a nutritional fact sheet, coming right up.

Unknown said...

I found that with some testing, if you reduce the lemon by half, the sauce is much more subtle. If you want a lighter sauce that lays in the mouth without coating the tongue, you can omit the heaving whipping cream.

Fantastic base to have some experimental culinary fun!

Thank you.

Exactguesswork said...

For the wine, would you go with a more dry sauvignon blanc?