Saturday, October 20, 2018

Green Chile Pesto and Roasted Chayote Squash Side Dish – Thanks, Rick!

If you’re going to steal one Rick Bayless recipe, you might as well steal two, which is exactly what I did here with this green chile pesto, and roasted chayote squash side dish. Like I said in the video, most great chefs encourage this type of thievery, as long as you give them credit, which I’m happy to do.

What I’m calling “Green Chile Pesto,” is really his Green Chile Adobo, but I thought my audience would better relate to a “pesto,” since that’s what this reminds me of the most. Although, I’m not sure how it would be in a pasta, and don’t have any immediate plans to find out.

What it was great in, was this very simple chayote squash dish, which is really more of a warm salad. If you can find chayote near you, I recommend you give it a try, but if not, grilled zucchini or other summer squash would also work, as would something like roasted acorn or delicata squash.

I’d try to choose a fairly mild olive oil for this, since we have enough heat and bitterness from the peppers. Which reminds me, don’t over blend this. While some chefs claim it’s just a wives tale, I’ve found that if you over-process an olive oil-based sauce, especially ones with garlic in them, it can get very bitter. Other than that, not much can go wrong, and so on behalf of Chef Bayless and myself, I’d like to say, we really do hope you give it a try soon. Enjoy!


Ingredients for the Green Chile Pesto:
6 Serrano peppers
1 Poblano pepper
6 cloves garlic, still in the paper
1 bunch cilantro
1/2 bunch Italian parsley
1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (or about 3/4 teaspoon fine salt)
3/4 cup mild tasting olive oil, or vegetable oil
juice from 2 fresh limes*

* You can add the lime right to the pesto if you’re going to use it all at once as a sauce for something, but this seems to keep longer in the fridge without it added in, and so I prefer to add it to whatever I’m using it with instead.

For the Chayote Squash Side Dish:
3 Chayote squash, cut in 1-inch pieces
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
juice from 1 lime (unless already added to your pesto)
2 or 3 heaping spoons of Green Chile Pesto
1/3 cup crumble soft goat cheese, plus more for the top
pumpkins seeds to garnish, optional
-->

8 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks delicious! Thanks!
Hey can you do a video on Fair Corn Dogs? I have to wait every year for the fair to get an awesome corn dog. I don’t know what it is but the corn dogs at the fair are sooo good! It would be great if I could make my own! Thanks again!

Oh and also zucchini bread!

Unknown said...

Hi chef John, can you please make stories next, I know it seems like a simple dish but I just can't seen to make anything good and if anyone can make it, it's you.

Unknown said...

Hey chef John, can you do a video on stovies please, i know it sounds like an easy recipe but I've tried so hard to make it but I can never get the correct consistency, anyways I hope you do decide to make the video.

REGARDS,
JUSTIN.

Pyrofish said...

I can attest to the over blended olive oil. I completely ruined a Churasco that way, and made the huge buffoonish move to not taste it before I put it on my Valentine's Day Steaks, it had to scraped off, and the horribly acrid bitter taste remained a little. It was awful. I'm always careful after that, and won't put EVOO in a blender/processor after that. I add it by hand because I don't know the threshhold.

Edward said...

Spaghetti squash might work nicely instead of pasta if you wanted something similar to pasta with pesto.

Unknown said...

So I didn't actually make this, but I made a version of it with habaneros and an orange bell pepper instead of serranos and a poblano. I also used lemon zest and juice because that's what I had around, but other than that, I did everything as directed, and oh my is this good. I keep going back for tastes. It's so interesting, and not in the air quote way;) Can't wait to try the green version!

Your videos have introduced me to some of the best recipes, and they've also helped me get through some hard times... seriously. Thanks for all you do!

Unknown said...

Made this tonight. The sauce is great. The squash is like tofu. No flavor. The Pepper pesto is more like a chimmichurri. I will be using the pesto/goat cheese sauce on my grilled steak tacos from now on.

Unknown said...

Hi chef John!
I really want to try this recipe! Unfortunately, I don't have a gas stove or any open flame to roast the poblano. What's a good alternative to get that nice char? Roasting/broiling in the oven?
Thanks a bunch!