Friday, June 21, 2019

Golden State Gazpacho – Cold Soup for a Long Hot Day

It only seems fitting to post this Golden State Gazpacho recipe on the first day of summer, and the longest day of the year, since there is simply no better thing to eat on a hot, sunny afternoon. And since this time of year those hot sunny afternoons last well into the evening, there’s plenty of time to whip up a batch between naps.

Many gazpacho recipes that include fruit turn out tasting more like dessert, which is fine if that’s what you’re into, but if you want something that actually tastes like a super-refreshing, and seriously savory gazpacho, then this peach-kissed version is for you. This is a very simple recipe, and not a lot can go wrong, as long as you serve it ice cold. I can’t stress this enough, but I'll try. 

Some folks actually like to freeze about half the recipe in ice cube trays, and then serve those with the soup, to ensure that it’s literally ice cold. That’s a great trick if you feel so inclined, but at the very least, give your gazpacho a few hours in the fridge, as well as keep your cups in the freezer. Regardless, I really do hope you give this a try soon. Enjoy!


Ingredients for 6 Portions:
2 pints sun gold cherry tomatoes
1 cup red cherry tomatoes
1 rounded cup cubed ripe yellow peaches, peeled (about 2 smaller peaches)
1 cup sliced, peeled English cucumber
1/2 cup roughly chopped orange bell pepper
1/4 cup yellow onion
1 clove garlic
2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more to taste
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
cayenne to taste
2 tablespoons white wine or champagne vinegar
1 lime, juiced, or to taste
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup cold fresh water
For the garnish:
crumbled feta
diced fresh peach
thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
-->

9 comments:

T.E.R.M.I.T said...

Sliced ingredients measured with cups... Brilliant. And pints of tomatoes.

Jay said...

Suggestion: a chicken dish where the only seasoning is spicy brown mustard

rancholyn said...

This was DELICIOUS! All my friends loved it and said it's a KEEPER!

saldeniv said...

So delicious,I'm going to make this all summer! You should call it "liquid gold".

saldeniv said...

So delicious that I'm going to make it all summer. You should call it "liquid gold".

Betty said...

I served this as first course for a dinner party...it was a big hit. Very refreshing with a much more interesting flavor profile than other gazpacho recipes. I am making it again tomorrow. Thank you, chef!

Barb said...

Some of my favorite meals that I really look forward to and as always, enjoy, during my cruises are the chilled soups... That's right! And this one sounds amazing! I can't wait to try it, Chef John!

Did you see what I did there? haha! Sorry, I couldn't help myself! :)

Jan Chen said...

THE BEST GASPACHO! My Spanish friend could not have enough of it. Perfect way to start the summer parties with Chef John's masterpiece.
Thank you for sharing,
xo

Unknown said...

Crazy good. It's in my summer go-to list.