Friday, October 4, 2019

Chunky Monkey Cupcakes – My Favorite Frosted Muffin

Banana, walnut, and chocolate are always an amazing combination of ingredients, no matter what the delivery system, but it really doesn’t get any better than in this ganache-frosted cupcake. A close second would be a chocolate-dipped frozen banana, rolled in walnuts, which is also a great treat, although much more awkward to eat in public.

Just be sure to buy your bananas way ahead of time. Using green bananas would be one of the few ways to mess this up, so I’d pick some up at least a week ahead of time, and wait until they’re starting to turn black before using them. For some extra flavor, a little banana liqueur wouldn’t be a bad idea, but these were great as is.

I thought the dark chocolate ganache was a perfect frosting, especially after trying them with a banana-based buttercream, which ended up being way too sweet for such a decadent cupcake. Of course, you can skip the frosting all together, and simply make a batch of the world’s best chocolate, walnut, banana muffins. Either way, I really do hope you give these a try soon. Enjoy!


Ingredients for 12 Chunky Monkey Cupcakes:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3 ripe bananas, mashed
2 tablespoons milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup soft butter
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips or chunks
12 banana chip for garnish, optional
- Bake at 350 F. for about 25 minutes.

For the Dark Chocolate Frosting:
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1 cup very hot, but not boiling cream
- Pour cream over chips, wait a few minutes, and stir. Wait until mixture is cool enough to be spreadable.
-->

12 comments:

dawncroz said...

Love your videos Chef John. My granddaughter saw this video and we're making cupcakes this weekend.

BarbG. said...

Yum, gonna try these for sure!

Charles Chrismon said...

Hi Chef John,
I would first like to thank you for getting me interested in cooking! Your videos are great tutorials, making cooking very easy. I would like to ask your recommendation on pots and pans, as a chef do you have a favorite brand?

shann-oh! said...

These are in our oven right now! Can’t wait

Chef Mark Bonnville said...

Hey chef john how about doing
pastitsio

Runeie said...

Could you make this in a loaf pan instead of cupcakes?

Curious Cook said...

Can't wait to try this recipe!

Unknown said...

Mixing it all in one go did not miake a difference.

Unknown said...

I have a recipe i would like to send you i think you would like how do i do that

AllanB said...

John,
I really enjoy your content and recipes. It's good to see a fellow Gen Xer sharing love through cooking. Keep up the good work.

Unknown said...

This is now my favorite banana recipe! The only thing I did differently, though, I subbed out the chopped nuts for 1/2 cup of chunky peanut butter and that just made them over the top for my family. Keep up the amazing work and I look forward to more of your videos!

Unknown said...

This is now my favorite banana recipe! The only thing I changed was instead of chopped nuts I used 1/2 a cup of chunky peanut butter and that made them over the top for my family. Keep up the amazing work and I look forward to all of your videos!