Saturday, July 14, 2007

Partly Cloudy with a Chance of Soup

Whenever I get to travel back east in the summer I’m reminded how lucky we San Franciscans are to enjoy such amazingly pleasant weather. We just don’t get many of those hot and humid days that I’ve heard referred to as “the air you wear.” Our cool, grey city, with is natural air conditioning, always welcomes you with a breath of fresh air. While not as foggy a city as its reputation would have one believe, we do get a good layer of fog, especially as the sun goes down in the summer. Most of the time, however, we are treated to mild temperatures and clear blue skies. And that’s why the picture of the beautiful, puffy cloud in today’s post (the other reason for the cloud photo will be explained shortly). This photo was taken near my Mom’s home in Clifton Springs. It is very rare to see such big, tall, shapely clouds like this in San Francisco. Our skies come in three basic styles; blue and completely cloudless, blue with thin little wisps of clouds, or the thin layer of grey fog I already mentioned. That’s pretty much it. In fact, the first time I brought my wife Michele back to meet the parents; she noticed (and fell in love with) these impressive looking clouds right away.

Anyway, today’s video is a re-run of my wonton soup recipe that I posted back in March. One translation of “wonton” means “swallowing clouds” and has always been one of my favorite all-time food translations (and properly made a very accurate one). I’m also having the family over today and wonton soup is on the menu! I’ll be doing it with ground turkey instead of the pork you’ll see in the recipe clip. I’ll just post the video below, but if you click on this link you can go to the original post to get the ingredients and full article. Enjoy!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks absolutely delish! One I will have to get the ingredients for and try.

Next time your in San Francisco, send some love south to San Jose...the non city city to fellow San Franciscians.

Chef John said...

Thanks. I always send much love south to San Jose, home of my beloved Sharks. And yes, I do know the way.

Seenor Drew said...

I made this tasty soup last weekend, and while it was really great, the one pound of meat seemed to be like a lot. I had a vast army of wontons by the end and could only fit half of them in the soup, so I pan fried the rest of them, which was also tasty. Did I go wrong somewhere, or is it just meant to make a lot?

Chef John said...

maybe my soup amounts are off! Better too many! Besides, easy enough to boil some broth and have another batch. Next time i make it Ill check.

Seenor Drew said...

Well it was still awesome and delicious, as have been all your recipes I've made. Thanks so much Chef John!

Anonymous said...

Do you cook the meat prior to putting it in the wonton? I don't see how it can cook in the water in such a short amount of time. Thanks for such a great site!

Chef John said...

no, it's such a small bit of meat it cooks in the boiling broth, and also as it sits in the hot soup. No problem.

Ash88 said...

Can I use ground chicken,turkey or even beef for the wonton soup recipe?

Chef John said...

sure, why not!