Friday, March 21, 2008

TGIGF - Thank God it's Good Friday

Having been raised a Catholic, I had a "fish on Friday" kind of childhood. I'm grateful for this since it gave me a taste and appreciate for seafood at an early age. I always feel sorry for the "I don't like fish" people, and when probed, they always give the fact that they weren't fed fish growing up as the reason. Or, they were fed badly prepared fish.

I'm sure I drove my parents crazy with the hundreds of impossible to answer questions such as "why fish on Friday," "what does this have to do with Jesus?" "Why would God care what I eat," "what if I accidentally eat fish on Friday?" So, while I didn't really understand these "rules," I enjoyed the dishes they made possible.

Here is a very old clip (so please excuse the low-res film and photo), which shows one of the easiest methods for preparing fish. It is almost impossible to mess up and doesn't make the whole house smell like fish, as some sautéed fish recipes do. Also, below the sole video recipe you'll see a very simple lemon butter sauce that goes perfectly with it. So, whether you are eating fish because it's a certain day of the week, or year, or you just feel like fish, give this recipe a try. Enjoy!



Here is the Lemon Caper Butter Sauce video recipe:


25 comments:

Anonymous said...

great demos, thanks!

Anonymous said...

I miss the little music intros you used to do and you saying what you're going to make in the vid :-(

Chef John said...

i mentioned in the post that this is a very old video... before the days of iMovie sound clips, and About.com specs.

Anonymous said...

Chef, love love love your blog.. I am adding you to my blogroll (if you dont mind). Thank you.

Chef John said...

thanks!

PrimeBrit said...

Doing this on Monday. You ROCK Chef!

Anonymous said...

what he said ^ ^

Anonymous said...

I finally can prepare filet of sole the restaurant style, without having it stick to the pan. The dish was delicious! Thank you Chef John.

Anonymous said...

Hi Chef John,

Would you do me a favor by providing me the ingredient list to make the sauce.(English is not my first language) And the caper you used is the fresh or canned one? Thank you very much

Anonymous said...

I'm one of those people who grew up with bad fish (mostly poorly deboned - discovering them in my mouth is one of my earliest childhood memories, very unpleasant).

I look forward to trying this soon. One small hesitation is that just like you hate wasting contaminated flour, I would prefer not to waste so much egg. Any tricks for that?

Thanks!

Chef John said...

scramble extra and eat! :)

Anonymous said...

hi...can someone please tell me what "dore" means? thanks.

Chef John said...

i believe it's named after the town... Dore is a village in South Yorkshire, England."

Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you, for this demo. My husband's doctor told him to eat fish 3 times a week, but my fish cooking experience is limited to blackened and fried. My husband makes a mean plank salmon too. My husband loves these, but the fried is not very healthy and we're getting tired of blackened and planked so I've been scouring the internet looking for alternative recipes. I haven't had any difficulty finding sauteed recipes but they never come out well; always somewhat bitter without that beautiful sweet delicate flavor. Now I understand that my pan has been too hot. I was afraid of the dish getting oily if I cooked at this lower temp, but your video helped me to visualize the proper pan temperature. These videos are so helpful, I'm going to make a donation! Thanks again!

Joan K said...

That was a great demo. I'm going to try cooking sole that way. Did you know the lemon caper sauce video is gone? Can you point me towards the written recipe? Thanks!

Chef John said...

Thanks! Try again, it's there and working. Maybe Youtube was down for a while.

Anonymous said...

That looks really good and easy to make. I will have to try it. We eat fish about 2 times a week in our house. This will be a nice change.

dave said...

Tried this last night with Tilapia from Costco. It was fantastic. I served it with a side of John's Pasta Primavera, which was a real hit with the family. As John said, this holds up well in a warm oven, so making it first, or at least having it finish before other sides are done is not a problem.

Maui said...

Chef John. Just one quick question. Can i use a dory fish for this?

Chef John said...

i think, any thin fillets usually work

Maui said...

Thanks Chef! I'll try it this weekend. And, also be cooking the southern fried chicken. "fried but not southern" lol :)

Anonymous said...

so are eggs not considered a meat then? :-)

Sir Whiteout said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sir Whiteout said...

Are there any alternatives for capers in this sauce?

Unknown said...

I use your recipes and videos all the time and recommend them every chance I get. Thanks for bringing so many good things and humor to the food blog world. I am amazed at the difference in your presentation in the older videos...which voice is the “real” Chef John?