Sunday, December 7, 2008

"Bite your teeth into the ass of life…"

This is my favorite scene, from my favorite food movie of all time. It's from Big Night, and features Ian Holm, giving a pep talk to Stanley Tucci, owner of a neighboring rival Italian restaurant. If you want to feel the agony and ecstasy of the restaurant business, rent this movie.

Holiday get-togethers can spur long, heated debates among family members about which DVD to rent after dinner. Well, here is a suggestion everyone should like. The movie is sweet, sad, hilarious, and shows everything that's great and horrible about the food business. Warning: This clip contains adult language. Enjoy!


7 comments:

admin said...

Love this movie. My favorite part is when the chef calls the woman a Philistine because she wants a side of spaghetti with her risotto.

No 2 starches in 1 meal for you!

Pyrofish said...

I've just added this to my Netflix Que. I can't believe I've never seen it.

Anonymous said...

My favorite part was the dinner scene, I've never drooled so much in my life..... oh man that timpano, delicious risotto, awesome!

Anonymous said...

I remember the Philistine scene--hilarious!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the warning about the language. My kids are often in the room.

Nate @ House of Annie said...

That timpano was so amazing. We've wanted to make one, but it's a daunting recipe. Have you ever made timpano, Chef?

Chef John said...

No I haven't! I am intrigued, but it is intimidating. I did play a timpano in a grammar school recital once though ;)