Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Fig Brulee with Burrata Cheese – Let’s Burn the Top of Some Fruit!

I love a crème brulee as much as the next portly chef, but when you consider the custard base is egg yolk-thickened, sweetened heavy cream, it’s not something you should be eating more than occasionally. But, why waste such a great technique when it can be applied to other things, like fresh fruit?

In the spirit of full disclosure, I chose figs here because I received a generous sampling from the California Fig Advisory Board, and decided this would be a wonderful way to enjoy them. As I mention in the video, this technique also works on fresh banana, a roasted peach or apple, and basically any tender fruit you can slice and sprinkle with sugar.

While this will work with white sugar, the Demerara sugar you see in the video seems to work best. It’s a type of raw brown sugar, and pretty much the same thing as you get in those little, brown “Sugar in the Raw” packages at the coffee shop. Let me be clear – I’m not suggesting you borrow a few of those to use for this recipe. That would be as illegal, as it would be free and convenient.

These were amazing with the fresh, creamy burrata, but any style cheese plate would benefit mightily from the shiny, sexy fruit. If cheese isn’t your thing, go grab a pint of vanilla ice cream, forget all about that sweet-savory thing, and just go full dessert.

Anyway, thanks to California Fig Advisory Board for inspiring the recipe, and if you want more info on how awesome figs are, you can check out their homepage here. I hope you give this a try soon. Enjoy!


13 comments:

rancholyn said...

This look amazing!!! Running out to buy my BLOW TORCH!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Chef! How did you process the burrata before presenting it? I never know what to do with it. It comes as a big ball comprised of a thick skin, and the creamy center. Do you cut all of it up and mix into a cottage cheese consistency? Toss out the skin and just use the middle?

Chef John said...

what you saw was how mine comes out of the tub. Yours should all be edible! Just slice up and serve everything.

Anonymous said...

This looks so yummy ! too bad figs are 'out of season' where I live so it's very difficult to buy them.

Chef John, why are comments semi-disabled ? as in new comments require your approval (Comment pending) ?

Chef John said...

because of spammers!

Gahuga said...

This looks great! I'm not a fig-fan, but now I almost want to eat some. By the way, Trader Joe's sells sugar on the raw, also packaged in a brown paper bag, just a bit bigger than what you see in coffee shops (maybe a pound or so).

Anonymous said...

Can attest ... these are exceptionally delicious!

Spammer. said...

Hello,

How could I substitute the burrata cheese?

Chrissy said...

Hi Chef!

What brand is your blow torch? I've been looking for one, but when I walked into Lowe's the other day I was overwhelmed and didn't know where to start! Thanks for your help! I love your recipes and videos!

Best wishes,
Chrissy

Chef John said...

Sorry, I'm traveling and can't check for a few days. I dont know off hand.

Christina said...

Hey Chef John! I would also like know to what blow torch you use. The holidays are coming and I'd love to brulee some goodness for my guests!

Chef John said...

Sorry, not home to look. Any hardware store torch will work!

The Girl with the Hollow Leg said...

I would love to know how to make Burrata cheese. The first time I ate it I thought I found Nirvana. Is the buffalo milk a mandatory thing? How would cow, sheep or goat's milk fare with it? I get as many laughs out of reading the comments on your recipes (both the dumb ass questions and your retorts)as I enjoy making the recipes themselves. Thanks for this site.