Wednesday, February 13, 2013

“Red Hot” Liqueur – Nicer AND Quicker

There’s an old Valentine’s Day saying that goes, “Candy is nicer, but liquor is quicker.” It’s really a lovely sentiment, but implies you have to choose one or the other. Hopefully this beautiful and delicious homemade cinnamon liqueur will prove that you can use both.

This is dead simple to make, and I was pleasantly surprised at how delicious it came out. As I mention in the video, the candy’s spicy cinnamon flavor and sweetness really mellows the burn of drinking straight 80-proof booze. This makes for some very smooth sipping, but at the same time demands at least a modicum of restraint.

I enjoyed mine neat, but imagine this would be great over ice, maybe with a splash of soda. I’m also wondering how it would be in a mug of hot cider, and by wondering, I mean obsessed with finding out. Stay tuned.

I’d like to extend a very special thanks to my friend, and fellow food blogger, Sean Timberlake. Sean publishes Hedonia and Punk Domestics, and he’s the one who turned me on to this brilliant elixir. His only request was that I use the knowledge for good, and not evil. Sorry, too late!

Anyway, giving edible gifts like chocolate is very traditional on Valentine’s Day, so why not a drinkable gift? And if you do decide to bottle some up, don’t forget your own customized warning label, as it will really show how much you care. I hope you and your Valentine give this a try soon. Enjoy!


Makes about 2 1/2 cups of “Red Hot” Liqueur 
1 cup Red Hots candy
2 cups cheap vodka

20 comments:

Steve Kennedy said...

Try this with equal parts of Apple Pucker and Cranberry juice. I have not made this recipe yet (I will), but I have used Cinnamon flavored whiskey with the aforementioned ingredients and it is quite tasty.

Anonymous said...

Definitely with a splash of soda! Great drink!

Unknown said...

Just an FYI - I believe the original was “candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker.” Yours is absolutely my favorite site, but every day when I check in (I am 66 years old), I have to fight Sheriff John out of my head.

Unknown said...

very nice and innovative blog about red hot liqueur and i like old Valentine's day

Estoy_Listo said...

Ogden Nash said that, but I doubt he was much of a cook. He was certainly no Chef John

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your banana bread recipe!!!! My mum and I made it about 6 times during my TWO WEEK Christmas break last year and it was just as amazing each time! I am now away on exchange for 4 months and I have no oven, so its torture! :(

My mum just started a cooking blog and she posted this recipe
http://myfavouritepastime.com/2013/02/12/date-and-coconut-loaf/#more-219

it reminded me of your banana bread! Please check it out and let her know what you think! :) HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!

dz.m.ziv said...

I do the same thing with Jolly Ranchers! They don't even need to be smashed. Just about 1 half whole Jolly Ranchers, 1 half Vodka. Let it sit for a good 8 hours or so. And then put it in the freezer :)

Michaela said...

Hi!
How many OZ/Grams of red hots candy do I need?
I'm not sure how much a cup is.

Michaela said...

Hi,
How many oz/grams is this for red hots?
I don't know how much a cup would be.

Damon said...

Do you have any volumetric measuring equipment? A cup is about 240 milliliters.

Unknown said...

Dearest Chef John,

You are amazing! This is my last Valentine's Day (for sometime) with my hubby (not because anyone of us are dying but simply becoz, I will be in Europe for the next 6 years or so and my Husband will be in USA) and I managed to pull out an excellent Valentine's day dinner...ALL THANKS TO YOU...

I will be making your Prosciutto wrapped Chicken Breasts (with cherries), white Gazpacho, Gnocchi with mushroom ragu and pan seared scallops... and your latest Love Potion No.9, and all my recipes are direct copies of what I learned watching ur channel.

You are such an amazing Chef, and I cannot thank you enough for your awesome videos!! Dont stop cooking and dont stop sharing the with us novices..

Thanks again, and wishing you and ur wife a very very happy Valentine's day.... :)

Chef John said...

You can measure with any kind of cup or scoop, since it's simply 2 parts vodka to 1 part candy!

Rachelle said...

Chef John,
Where did you find the bottles? I love them.
Thank you for your inspiring recipes!

Chef John said...

Rainbow Grocery in San Fran.

Unknown said...

Hey Chef John,

We don't live in the exotic US of A, so we don't have access to Red hots. However we do have jelly beans in a lot of flavors. Could those be used in this magnificent mix?

Kind regards,
A dutch fan.

Unknown said...

Hey Chef John,

We don't live int he exotic US of A. So we don't have access to Red hots. I was wondering if it's possible to use Jelly beans. We have plenty of those.

Kind regards,
A dutch fan.

Chef John said...

You can use any candy, but I can't say how it will taste! Enjoy!

ipeggym said...

Hard candy - jelly beans might dissolve if you soak & strain, but they won't be blender friendly.

Unknown said...

I would really like to try this with vanilla ice cream. mmm..will be trying this tomorrow as Sunday cannot buy the liquor. :) Love your website Chef John

Janel Clement said...

I don't think jelly beans would work because the flavor is not as intense as Red Hots or Jolly Ranchers. I would be happy to ship some "exotic" American candy to those of you in Europe. :)