Saturday, December 7, 2013

The Shooter’s Sandwich – Tally Ho Indeed

Even though this trendy shooter’s sandwich has been requested many times, I’ve resisted making one because I’ve always felt there were better handheld delivery systems for steak and mushroom ingestion. Like a panini for example, or maybe even a cheesy quesadilla; but pressed into a cold, hard wedge?

Then, I had an incredibly small epiphany. I ran across the origins of the shooter’s sandwich online, and realized I might have been missing the point. This wasn’t something you make for just any lunch; it was something you make to take on a foxhunt (or what you Americans call a “tailgate party”).

I can’t remember the last time I was on a foxhunt, but after giving this a try, I can see the advantages of this very filling, very flavorful, and very sturdy sandwich. But, as I stressed in the video, you really need a couple huge steaks to make this work. Even cooked slightly pass medium, this was okay, but another half-inch of tender, pink meat would have made the whole affair significantly better.

So, I guess if I were going on a long hike, or out for a relaxing day of shooting innocent foxes, I would consider making this again, but while I tucked in, I have to admit, I’d probably be dreaming about a steaming hot, steak and mushroom hoagie. Enjoy!


Ingredients for 8 Portions:
(Note: I didn’t measure anything, ‘cause it’s a sandwich, but these should be close enough.)

For the mustard sauce:
3 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp extra hot horseradish
1 tbsp mayo

For the mushrooms:
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter, divided
1 1/2 pound button mushrooms
salt and pepper to taste
cayenne to taste
1/2 cup minced shallots
2 tbsp brandy or sherry

The rest:
2 at least 16 to18-oz well-trimmed beef steaks (rib eye, NY strip, or top-sirloin are best choices, in that order). Seared in some vegetable oil.
salt and pepper to taste
3-4 oz fine pate, optional
1 round loaf of crusty bread

23 comments:

Beth said...

Thanks for this, Chef John! Must interject, however, the French do a much better job with this sort of thing than the British – pan bagnat all the way!

Theang said...

Hi Chef John, have you ever thought of incorporating Facebook's comment feature into your blog instead of using Blogger comment? :D

Unknown said...

Illegal brick ovens, illegal pate? Are you "Breaking Bad" or what?

Unknown said...

I think it's a great idea. You could mix up the ingredients for more variety. Thanks Chef!

Bigs said...

About 6 months ago on reddit, these step-by-step pic albums of people making these took over. The most interesting thing about this sandwich is what people use to weigh them down. Otherwise, it seems like a laborious process to make a squished steak and bread bowl sandwich.

If I want a beef sandwich, the shooter wouldn't crack my top 50.

Bigs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bigs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Roberto said...

Except in a few places like Wales, fox hunters don't shoot at the fox! How declasse! They chase after the hounds on horseback and either the hounds catch the fox or, if he "goes to ground", they send in a fox terrier to flush the fox out, after which the hounds tear the fox limb from limb. It's all very civilized, don't you know. Nothing so crude as gunfire.

Sandra from Montreal said...

I agree with Beth; the French do sandwiches (and most other food-related things) better than the British, but due to my extreme love of beef and mushrooms, I'm definitely going to give this a try! Fortunately foie gras is legal here in Quebec (as are beautiful unpasteurized cheeses)...

Leach said...

Awesome video, the cutting towards your hand line was hilarious. I had to pause the video because my GF was laughing so hard.

What kind of cast iron skillet is that?

Steve Kennedy said...

I think if you put some thyme and rosemary in that mushroom mix, you would wind up with a beef wellington flavor.

loner said...

What can i substitute for horseradish? I can't find it in my area though

Chef John said...

You could try hot mustards or wasabi maybe.

Pisaster said...

Hi Chef John, how many days can this sandwich keep without the bread going completely stale and rock hard?

Anonymous said...

Ha!! Loved the contraband pate' comment! Classic!

Mark in Omaha said...

Three comments:
1- Perfect for Thanksgiving leftovers. I used chicken (we don't like turkey) stuffing, cranberry sauce. Bought a loaf of bread at the supermarket and it worked fine.
2- Pressing -- I placed the loaf on a dinner plate and inverted a second plate on top. Then I TIGHTLY duct taped the two together. Sweet! Fit into the refrigerator easily.
3- I spent most of my younger years hunting foxes. :) Just sayin'.

LOVE your blog!
Mark in Omaha

Unknown said...

Hi Chef John,
This is a great sandwich! I used a loaf of my mother's Tuscan bread and sliced London broil steak. Please don't consider me bourgeois but, I didn't want to risk getting picked up by the pâté police, so I substtuted liverwurst for the goose liver pâté. :o)

Unknown said...

Can I sub anything for mushrooms my brother doesn't like it?

Chef John said...

I guess, but there is nothing like mushrooms, so I don't have a sub for you.

Unknown said...

Chef John, I loved this! I'll be making it again...often. Thank you!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Since the shooting would *not* be of foxes, but of game birds, or possibly venison, at least you could look forward to coming home to a better meal than the one you set out with.

Gilbert said...

This is a loaded loaf. A sandwich is something else. It was used as a meal to take on long coach rides. So many things get lost in the trip over the ocean.