Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Savory Ricotta Tart – Thin to Win

I got a food wish for a ricotta cheesecake recently, which sounded fantastic, but with bikini season rapidly approaching, my love handles and I thought we’d compromise and do a savory, sugar-free version instead.

I love the simple combination of really good ricotta and fresh herbs, baked with just enough eggs to hold things together. I was in the mood for some heat, but things like pepper and cayenne are totally optional. 

As I alluded to in the video, I usually do this as a pie, which comes out about twice as thick, but I wanted to try it in tart-form and the pan I used was clearly too large. Next time I’ll simply double the ingredients, and add about 10 or 15 minutes to the cooking time, and I recommend you do the same.

Keep this humble pie in mind when the “way too many vegetables” part of summer rolls around. This could be a great base for using up leftover veggies in a very fritatta-like way. I hope you give it a try soon. Enjoy!


Ingredients for 6 thin portions:
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs, toasted in some olive oil
olive oil to coat pan
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
cayenne or other hot peppers to taste
1/4 cup fresh chopped or torn basil
1 tbsp chopped Italian parsley
tiny pinch nutmeg
1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
1 oz finely greated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (about 1/2 cup if the real stuff, otherwise 1/4 cup packed of the fake “stuff”)
*Bake at 325 for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until set.

12 comments:

FSB said...

How large a pan was that, please?

Betsy said...

Yes, how large a pan, and how could I modify the recipe to make it thicker?

Birder said...

How many "aheads" in that?

Toshiko Suisei said...

Hello Chef John, Just want to say that the thickness of this delicious-looking ricotta tart looks perfect to me. I would say, "Yes, I'll have slice, thanks!" It is, as you said, bikini season.

Josh said...

Isn't this just a glorified quiche? ;) Also, I don't think I've ever heard anyone ever pronounce "ricotta" as you do. Oh, I have a bumper crop of cayenne peppers coming in. I wished you'd show me how to properly dry them out.

Unknown said...

Might be in the video. Check out Chef John's YouTube site.

LynnieBNC said...

Italian vowels are pronounced ah, ay, ee oh, and oo for a e i o u,
hence "ree coh tah"

This sounds great to me, and I like the idea of it being very thin, also.

Anonymous said...

Tall food is so passe...

metacree said...

What is with you and the cayenne, Sir?

Steve Kennedy said...

One thing about cayenne, Metacree. It is easy to leave out. It does make food sing though. If you watch his videos close, his ingredient lists shows about 1/2 of what he puts in. When I have grandkids over for supper, I cut that in half again. When my Mother in Law comes over, I just leave it completely. The food is still good, I just sprinkle some on at my plate.

gracecamel said...

I made this for lunch today. I substituted crushed walnuts for the breadcrumbs and added in a package of defrosted, squeezed spinach. I need a low-starch diet and this was a wonderful pastry-free version of Spanakopita.
My version

Unknown said...

I hate to say it, but a few of your posts make you look.....GASP!.....a bit lazy. You have my absolute favorite food blog/recipe site. That said, I'm thinking that you should have made this recipe with the changes you suggested before posting. I really don't care if you delete my comment, but please be aware of my opinion. I'm a talented home cook in Boston.