Friday, April 24, 2015

Whole-Grain Blueberry Scones – Because a “Muffsconut” Isn’t a Thing

I was brainstorming some ideas for using up a cup of nearly perfect blueberries, and was waffling between muffins, donuts, and biscuits. I finally decided on a biscuit-like triangle, spiced subtly with essence of old-fashioned donut.

I’m calling it a scone because I cut it into a triangle. There’s just something un-American about a triangular biscuit, so you Brits will just have to keep a stiff upper lip about this not being an actual scone.

I used my new favorite, sprouted spelt flour, but I’m guessing this will work with whatever you roll with. You’ll also want to keep an eye on them in the oven, as the baking times will vary depending on the exact shape and thickness. They’re done when they’re well browned, and you see blueberry juices bubbling out through the top and sides.

These have that someone loves me look, especially if you do the recommended sugar-crust top, which is why I’m thinking these would be nice for Mother’s Day, or any other brunch/breakfast-in-bed type situations. I hope you give these a try soon. Enjoy!


Ingredients for 8 Whole-Grain Blueberry Scones:
2 cups spelt flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp fine salt
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
2 tbsp white sugar, optional
4 ounces ice cold butter (1/2 cup aka 1 stick) 
1 cup blueberries
3/4 cup cold buttermilk
- 425F.for about 20-25 minutes, or until well-browned and blueberry juices start bubbling out through the top and sides.

19 comments:

Ian said...

These look great! One question, could I use Granary flour for these? Or would that be wierd? :)

Chef John said...

Sorry, never heard of granary flour!

Toshiko Suisei said...

Thank you for another What-am-I-going-to-do-with-all-these-blueberries option! They look delicious; will try this soon ^^

Unknown said...

I just made these with bananas and pecans...waiting for them to cool down. They don't look as good as yourself, but still pretty decent! Loved how quick and easy it was to make them.

JB said...

Yes!! I've been making scones for breakfast everyday since Jan/2014. I find it so convenient and easy to make, and yet after all this time they still taste delicious. I can't wait to try out some of the tricks and suggestions in your video. Also, if you have any other easy breakfast ideas (something that I can make in batches 2-3 nights before), it would be really cool to see a video for that!

Doti said...

Can I use rye instead?

Unknown said...

I baked mine for 25min, same temp, and they burnt... T_____T

snowponies said...

Grating the butter instead of cutting it in. Absolutely brilliant!! Thank You!
Just took them out of the oven and they look and smell sooo good. Mmmmmm!

Chef John said...

L Yao, I'm going to add another note below the ingredients, but that's why I went over baking times, and how to tell it's done in the 3rd paragraph of the post.

Unknown said...

Hi Chef John,

what kind of olive oil you use in this recipe and in most of others recipes?
Extra virgin olive oil ? Pomace olive oil?

Unknown said...

I just pull them out of the oven, they don't look as good as yours but, I think I've found the culprit. I couldn't find spelt wheat or the buttermilk :( I used Whole flour instead and whipping cream. They don't look as good (kinda flat) but they taste delicious, we've already eat 3 hehehe.

Krista said...

My dough was very very wet after the 3/4c milk, what am I doing wrong? Thanks!

MP said...

Chef John, would buckwheat flour work as a replacement for spelt?

MP said...

Chef John, would buckwheat flour in place of spelt work with this recipe?

Chef John said...

never tried, but I don't think so!

Gripper99 said...

Wonderful technique! I now leave a couple sticks of butter in the freezer at all times so I can make these at the spur of the moment. Like this morning! I always use all purpose flour and add the zest of one lemon. I use brown sugar instead of castor, and add vanilla extract to the dough. I didn't have buttermilk this morning so I mixed some yogurt with double cream for the liquid. I brush the tops with double cream and heavily sprinkle them with Demerara sugar before baking. I've made these numerous times. Without the fruit, zest, sugar and vanilla they go well with gravy. Spectacular reliable technique for never-fail scones just like my Gran's. Thank you Chef John. Again and again!

Becky Hunt said...

I have made these twice now and they are delicious! One note, I tried using frozen blueberries the first time and it made the dough way too wet. Definitely going to always use fresh from now on. Thanks Chef John for another wonderful recipe!

pfdovr said...

Chef, just made these wonderful scones, with whole wheat flour. Came out beautiful, tasted great -- but couldn't help noticing they tasted kinda like whole wheat scones.

Not familiar with spelt flour -- didn't even know that's how it's spelt [couldn't help myself . . . ] -- would that have a different flavor?

Indian Scout said...

I read that if you're going to use frozen blueberries you need to roll them and confectionery sugar while still frozen before adding to the ingredients