Friday, September 11, 2015

Smoked Trout Schmear – Because There’s No Cool Way to Say, “Spread”

Schmear,” on the other hand, is impossible to say without sounding cool. Try it, you’ll see. You also have to love a recipe whose name describes what you’re supposed to do with it. You make a schmear, and then you schmear a schmear.

Names aside, this smoked trout schmear is incredibly easy, and very versatile. Obviously, it’s great spread on any kind of bread or crackers, but slathered atop a freshly toasted bagel may be it’s finest expression.

By the way, this is one of those recipes were you almost have to ignore the exact ingredient measurements I give below, since the ideal amount of salt, acidity, and heat are very subjective. Equal proportions of cream cheese and smoked trout is a good starting point, but everything else should be added “to taste.”

Smoked trout is relatively easy to find in any of your fancier grocery stores that sell smoke salmon, and unlike its more common cousin, I think it provides a richer, more interesting flavor, especially in spreads like this. I really hope you give this a try soon. Enjoy!


2 trout boneless, skinless fillets (about 5-6 ounces total), checked for bones and crumbled
6 ounces cream cheese (3/4 cup), softened to room temp
2 teaspoons capers, drained
1 rounded teaspoon hot prepared horseradish, preferably homemade
salt and freshly ground black pepper
pinch of cayenne
1/2  lemon, juiced (about 4 teaspoons), or to taste
2 teaspoons fresh chopped chives
1 tablespoon fresh chopped dill

8 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks great!

Billy MacKenzie said...

Mouth-watering. I'm gonna go on the hunt for smoked trout as soon as this laziness subsides.

I make and use crème fraîche regularly since I watched your vid and applied myself. In the past I've placed a wish for something non-related however my FoodWish #2 will be for Smetana(Central/Eastern European Sour Cream). Variety is the spice of life with Cayenne coming in at a close second.

Don Gringo said...

CJ-
Quit teasing us with these little peaks inside the fridge. Time for a full vid on showing what you got in there!

Unknown said...

I make a similar dip with smoked kingfish. When I have creme fraiche I add it and it comes out looser and more dip like. When I don't it comes out more spread like and schmearable like yours. Both ways are awesome and disappear fast. I have even tried it with smoked Yellow or Blackfin tuna. They all have their own distinct flavor profile and corresponding awesomeness. I have never made it twice the same way, kinda like spaghetti sauce;)

Vanvik said...

air don`t weigh anything...

Lindsay said...

Thanks!I've been making a spread very close to this as part of my favourite packed lunch. Found it in BBC Food Mag many years ago. I haven't made it in quite a while so this was a good reminder.

But I have to point out that only a man could think 'schmeer' is cool. No woman would think it's cool, either hearing or saying it!

Unknown said...

Hey Chef John. I've been watching your videos and trying your recipes for a few months now and everything has turned out amazing (except for a sourdough, but I'm not giving up!). I just tried this "recipe" but really just used it as a guideline for a poor redneck version using canned tuna! It actually turned out really great. In fact the only ingredient we had in common was the cream cheese. But the method was flawless and results were amazing. Thanks for the great videos and recipes.

Badger's Dad said...

I catch and smoke my own trout, so really looking forward to making this!