Friday, June 17, 2016

Potato Roses – A Side Dish That's Stacked

I saw a picture of something called “potato stacks,” online last year, on a blog called Home Cooking Adventure, and I thought to myself, those sure look a lot more like roses than stacks. So, long story short, I stole the idea, and now that it has a much more social media-friendly name, I fully expect this to go viral.

The technique is straightforward, but make sure you season the potatoes generously. I use about two teaspoons of kosher salt in this, and along with the cheese, that seems to be just about right. Having said that, taste for salt varies greatly from person to person, so remember what you used, and adjust next time if need be. These would be great for entertaining, since you can make them ahead, and keep them warm in the pan, or cool and reheat in the oven when you are ready to serve. I really hope you give these a try soon. Enjoy!


Makes 12 Potato Roses:
3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/3 to 1/2 cup melted butter (1 stick)
1 tablespoon minced rosemary or 2 tablespoon thyme leaves
freshly ground black pepper and cayenne to taste
3/4 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

- 400 F. for 45-60 minutes

14 comments:

cybertiger99 said...

Chef John reminds me of Graham Kerr ( the galloping Gourmet) and Julia Child. Informative cooking instructions while being entertaining and fun. A breath of fresh air. Thank you John

Kennapop3 said...

I am the Moses of my roses, and these do look like I need to bring then home

Mark said...

I wonder if instead of foiling I could scoop them out and flip them over for the final cooking. That way I might get two crispy cheesy crusts, one on top and one on bottom, which of course is the best part of au gratin potatoes.

I know this would ruin the rose-like appearance but hey flavor rules! I've often wondered how I could get more crust on my cheesy potatoes without burning and this might be it. I'm thinking gruyere....

Thanks!

Unknown said...

Chef John,
Saw the fire in the City on the news...are you ok?

Ana S said...

This is an awesome post. I have no doubt that I can bring out my inner chef and thoroughly impress my husband for his Father's Day dinner tonight. Many thanks! And I'll thank you right now for my husband in advance. Great post :)

Chris K. said...

Hi Chef,

Do you think this would work with sweet potatoes? I know they tend to be higher in water content and I'm concerned they might just steam instead of caramelize.

Unknown said...

I love your videos, love to cook, and love slicing. However, as a nurse in an emergency room who has seen way too many mandoline injuries, I just can't bring myself to buying one. Oh well. Looking forward to your next video...

Chef John said...

Anything great I've ever made with regular potatoes never works as well with sweet ones! So I've sorta stopped trying.

mom of chef said...

These look sooo good and fun BUT I will buy a Mandolin with a hand guard to protect and hopefully prevent cut fingers because Hey I am a professional pianist after all. Thanks Chef John! Love your videos.

Unknown said...

Hi Chef John,

I made these on Sunday night, using fingerling potatoes, which made great ribbons, and carrots strips, done with the vegetable peeler. They came out beautifully golden brown, but looks were deceiving ... I put in too much salt. :(

Well, I won't make that mistake again, and in the coming weeks, zucchini should be in, so I think I'll try that too!

Cheers!

S/V Blondie-Dog said...

Greetings Chef! I'll has ya' knows 'dat I done made me some Potato Roses and 'dey be awesome! I did nevertheless sprinkle in some garlic powder before it was all said and done. Even my finicky lady-friend gave my 'taters a big thumbs up. And nope, I ain't a gonna' tell her that I didn't use real garlic. Thanks! You're 'da best!

Unknown said...

Okay what are your thoughts for us lazy cooks on using a Cuisinart instead of a Mandoline? I am kind of afraid of a Mandoline. We have 2 and I never use them.

Unknown said...

I'm thinking a combination of a little bit of blue cheese and cheddar or something milder with a sprinkle of parm on top would be amazing

Patrick Chadd said...

Chef John, I made these last night for a dinner party and every last one went LOL - I made double and everyone had seconds!! Perfect recipe and easy!!!