Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Salami Bread – Fourteen Inches of Delicious Pizza-Related Serendipity

What started out as a frustrating attempt to test some pizza dough, turned into what we’re calling salami bread. This 14-inch long loaf of delicious serendipity was a revelation, and I didn’t even get to use it for it’s most obvious purpose…to make the world’s greatest Italian submarine sandwich.

As I mention in the video, I’m not even sure I’d do a meat sub with this, but instead may just load it up with lots of Italian cheeses, as well as fresh and pickled vegetables. Then I’d find a picnic, where I could sit back to soak in the sun, and the compliments.

There are hundreds of possible variations, so that’s going to be your homework. Why wait until the unlikely scenario of having pizza dough, but no toppings? Let’s be proactive. But no matter how you roll, and I really do hope you give this a try soon. Enjoy!


Ingredients for one salami bread:
12 to 16 ounce ball of pre-made pizza dough
8-10 slices salami or other similar meat
1/4 cup tomato sauce, or other crushed tomato product
freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano to cover
scattering of freshly chopped herbs, to taste
olive oil, as needed

- Bake at 400 F. for 25 to 30 minutes until browned and cooked through.

12 comments:

Alex Gochenour said...

"I would take overkill over underkill any day."

If you published a book with your witticisms I'm certain it would sell well.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Yumm! And, yes, I'm thinking of all sorts of possible stuffing ingredients!

Anonymous said...

Growing up, our school cafeteria at my (extremely small!!) school used to make something called Stromboli which is what this reminds me of. Now that I'm well out of school I still make it because it was so good. :-) I've never been able to avoid sogginess with the sauce though, so I've left it out whenever I've made pizza stromboli.

Smoldar said...

Hmmmm. I wonder if this technique will work with your pizza dough recipe. Think that this is worth the time to try out on the weekend!

Vivian said...

Tried this stromboli-esque scarbread out today, possibly the best way to use up those few pieces of spicy salami I had left hanging out in the fridge. Thanks for the awesome inspiration!

Unknown said...

That looks GREAT chef. Gonna try it this weekend.

GO CAVS!!! 216 ALL IN BABY!!!

Super School Counselor said...

Chef John,

Love you buddy. The title is missing an "i" in Delcious.

iwannabefrenchy247 said...

Chef John.
I need someone to change my opinion on sopresatta. It is the only salUmi i dont like. I love almost all SalUmi. Never found a sop that i enjoyed.

Help.

Pyrofish said...

This brings back memories of childhood. My mom was is an awful cook, but she enjoyed baking. She used to buy bread dough at the store, roll it out, then line the interior with pepperoni and cheese. The bread never fully developed the texture of bread, I expect because the cheese weighed it down, or she may not have let it rest after rolling it out. I always meant to experiment with it and make it right for my daughter, but I always forget to make it happen. Your video is spurring me on to make it this weekend. Maybe with your no-knead beer bread recipe. I'm glad you made that mistake!

Unknown said...

Nice bangla recipe! Yummy! Tried out at home..was wonderful! Keep sharing :)

rodentraiser said...

French bread recipe with turkey and ham on the inside marinated in balsamic vinegar. I wonder if I could bake some of those cherry tomatoes inside with the meat, too. Maybe I could do BBQ pork instead or wait - I have it! How about hamburger, bacon, and blue cheese in the beer bread? Or maybe just go full pizza like you were going to do, Chef, with salami, mushrooms, olives, bacon, pineapple, ham, pepperoni, onion, and peppers in the pizza dough? I wonder if it would be possible to actually bake the onions, peppers, olives, pineapple, bacon, and mushrooms in the dough itself, then fill with meat?

Chef John, I think you've opened up a whole new horizon here! We can call this the Chef John Special!

Louis said...

Tried this tonight...it was a great hit. I added some cumin seeds to the bread. It made the bread very aromatic!