Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Some Good Frickin' Paprika Chicken

My non-fat yogurt kick continues with this yogurt and paprika marinated grilled chicken. The name in the title is an homage to one of the best chicken take-out joints in San Francisco, called "Good Frickin' Chicken." I've always loved the name, so I'm stealing it for this recipe.

While this is a pretty straightforward grilled chicken recipe, the vinaigrette trick you'll see at the end was a last minute touch that worked out nicely. I really like oil and vinegar-based sauces on grilled meats. They work beautifully with the smoky, caramelized exterior. It's this part of the recipe where you can summon your inner chef and decide what oil, vinegar, and other flavorings you'll use to bath your chicken.

I mention in the clip to use a fresh Spanish paprika to get the best results. The cheap, rusty-brown dust in the back of the spice shelf you use to sprinkle on the deviled eggs once a year is not going to cut it. There's really a major difference in taste and appearance - it's like using bacon bits instead of real crumbled bacon. You wouldn’t do that, would you? Enjoy.



Ingredients:
1 cut up chicken
3 cloves garlic
2 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp paprika
pinch of cayenne
1 tbsp hot chili sauce
6 tbsp plain yogurt
Sauce:
1 tbsp ketchup
dash of hot sauce
pinch of paprika
2 tbsp sherry vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks good!

We do alot of yogurt marinades...both with chicken, fish, and beef.

Always makes it tender.

Try cumin and pine nuts...it also tastes wonderful with yogurt.

Nate @ House of Annie said...

Hey Chef, looks great. I like that you put the paprika glaze on at the end.

There was one time when I did some research on what flavors were water soluble vs oil soluble. I forget all of them, but I do remember that garlic is oil soluble.

Do you cook the chicken by time, touch, or are you shooting for a certain temperature?

Chef John said...

Thanks! I usually don't take the temp as sometimes it's hard to get it in the right spots when the chicken is cut up in so many pieces. I go by feel for the white meat, and for the legs and thighs, I go until I can easily push the tongs into the meat near the bone.

Anonymous said...

Hi Chef, great to see you exploring Yogurt. My favorite flavorful food cravings--Indian foods, like Lamb Rogan Josh and Saags and Tikka's and so on all use yogurt in the sauces and/or marinate the lamb and chicken in yogurt. Would love to see you explore a few of those recipes. The paprika chicken is very similar to a Tikka. Thanks again for another great recipe to try. :)

Lamez0rs said...

They make Real Bacon Bits, made from real crumbled bacon. It's fantastic.

Chef John said...

Well, then those are okay.

PrimeBrit said...

Laughing out load at the title even before I watch the video!

Frickin awesome...

adam said...

Hi Chef John, I just wanted to let you know that I have been a fan for a while but this is the first time I am trying one of the recipes, I am making it for a cookout with some friends...I will let you know what the reviews are

Joe! said...

So chef John - how do I cook this little diddy, or any for that matter, during the minter months? Any suggestions?

Chef John said...

roasted in the oven should work fine. Maybe 40 minutes at 375?

Joe! said...

You're the man. Thanks! I've been enjoying the site for about a year now. As a relatively young chef and recent college grad I have to admit that the majority of my cooking repertoire is culled directly from your site. Kudos!

Unknown said...

hey chef i cant seem to find sherry vinegar at my store only sherry wine. is there any substitute? cheers!

Chef John said...

sherry vin is a bit sweeter, but you can use a white wine vinegar, or champagne vinegar, but all large chain grocery stores can get sherry vin, so i would ask.

sherry wine said...

Thanks for giving the video, it really very easy to understand through video.

Maheen said...

I cant see the video

Anonymous said...

Hi. I was wondering if you can make a beef mangolian recipe. Kinda like the one at P.F. Changs. Ive always wanted to learn how to make to like that same way, taste, look. Thanks soo much

Leslie said...

Is it me or is it your site? The space where your video usually is is blank.

Chef John said...

It's you :-) I just checked. Its a vimeo player, so maybe your browser doesn;t like. BTW, all the videos are also on the Foodwishes' YouTube channel.

BrianC said...

Hi, we tried the recipe this evening and loved it - thanks! As you suggested, used some good Spanish paprika from Fresh Market - it does matter.
My question's about the grill - it doesn't look like any Weber charcoal grill I can find (they're round) and have been looking for a good rectangular charcoal grill. I'm a pretty good hand at gas (Weber) - smoking, barbecuing, grilling, even baking (pizza is great that way - great crust!) but want to add a good charcoal unit. Any suggestions where I might find something like the one you're using? Thanks! Brian