Sunday, November 22, 2009

What is Up?

I wanted to do a brief post today to get you up to date on all the newest developments, and also to give you a heads-up on my plans for the holidays.

I Guess They'll Let Anyone Write a Cookbook!


If you follow me on Twitter you probably know, but I'm officially announcing here on the blog that I've signed an agreement with Parragon Publishing to do a cookbook!

If everything goes as planned, it will
eventually be four cookbooks , all focusing on American food (or at least what I consider American food).

I can’t give any firm dates or titles yet, but you will be the first to know. In a
ddition to the regular distribution channels, I'll be able to sell them here for a special discount price, only available to my loyal Food Wishes fans. Stay tuned for more info in the coming months.

The Open Sky Project

I was contacted recently by an ecommerce start-up call Open Sky, and asked if I would b
e interested in being a "Shopkeeper" for their Home & Garden category. Their mission statement is "to connect consumers to experts and the products they love and use." Since I get so many emails about what products I use and recommend, I decided to go for it.

My Open Sky store is just getting started, and they only have a few products sourced so far, but eventually you will be able to find a wide range of my favorite kitchen and cooking-related products. By the way, the shopkeepers are given a share of the revenue, but NOT paid to endorse specific products.

One reason I decided to get involved was the company's founder is John
Caplan, who was one of the founders of About.com. They've also signed on some very high-profile foodies including one of my blogger role models, Michael Ruhlman. Stay tuned!

Now Warming Up in the Bullpen…

My mother Pauline is having some work done to her shoulder in a few weeks, so I'll be traveling to New York to help her out, and steal more of her recipes. I keep telling her she is too old to become the first female short reliever for the Yankees, but she just won't listen. She thinks this surgery will add at
least 5 mph to her fastball, and who am I to argue.

SFQ and a Very Special Surprise Package

I will make the official announcement on Cyber Monday, but this year's "please send me some money because I'm going broke doing free videos" holiday gift offering will include a sneak preview of my wife Michele's soon to be famous San Francisco-style barbecue sauce, SFQ. The package will also include a small wooden bonus gift that will be sure to cause a "stir" (literally, that's your clue).

Last year many of you supported the site by forking over your hard earned cash and purchased the Food Wish Favorites Vol. 1 DVD, containing 12 recipe videos that you could have watched for free online. I hope we can expect the same fantastic effort this year. It makes a huge difference. Stay tuned!

Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

If you've been following the blog for a while you know things always slow down a little bit around the holidays. That will certainly be the case this year, especially with the unexpected travel back east, the cookbook project, gift package sales, and all the other normal holiday distractions. So, if you see a few days go by in between posts, do not be alarmed! I'm fine. Just really busy. Enjoy!

27 comments:

milkshake said...

Chef, don't let anything and anybody to make you do things (that you dislike) and the rest will take care of by itself. Looks like soon I can start bragging that I knew about Food Wishes even before you became the American food culture icon... Please have a great Holiday season!

Janet said...

Congratulations! That's so awesome!

Giovanna said...

Awesome news on the cookbooks! Can't wait for them! ( I love the comment you made about "what I consider American food") funny ~ any chance you may do a traditional Italian book?

Anonymous said...

Happy Holidays Chef John, and don't you worry - you are worth waiting for!

Hope your Mom's surgery goes perfectly well, and leaves her feeling the same, perfectly well!

Can't wait for the Xmas package, something for barbecuing - that your wife made (yum); and something small (?); plus more recipes on a CD to share with my friends and neighbors! What more could I ask for? (May as well dream big)
Will you come to my house and fix Thanksgiving dinner before you leave?

Matthew said...

Congrats and well deserved, I will buy your cook book in a heartbeat.

Too bad I can't listen to your sexy voice when I'm reading it

Chef John said...

Thanks everyone. But, I don't think there's going to be time to create a new DVD for the package. I'm working on another surprise to include.

Unknown said...

Oh man, if it's the freakishly small spoon... I'm in!

Anonymous said...

There you go... make an audio book!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations...I prepare at least 3 of your recipes a week and look forward to your books. Keep cooking and I promise to keep watching.

PukaDog said...

I like the Open Sky site and can't wait for the cookbooks (and the BBQ sauce). I guess your mom won't be beating eggs by hand for all this year's holiday goodies. Best wishes to her and her shoulder doctors.

As far as products to add to your Open Sky store, what brand(s) of both non-stick and stainless steel skillets do you prefer to use?

As far as a late November Food Wish, mine would be for a Chef John favorite homemade egg nog video recipe.

Tom Maynard said...

Mmm, San FrancisQUE. Keen.

Gina said...

Wow! How exciting! I'm a new follower to your blog and I love it! I agree with your other loyal followers - you deserve it and I can't wait to add your cookbooks to my kitchen.

Luatica said...

I gues the dvd is region 01 (somehow I managed to miss that part). Good thing that books are not region locked. I might try to get the dvd later when I have money again.

Grams Pam said...

Well deserved Congrats, Chef. Best wishes to your Mom and her medical team.

I'm also "in" for a Christmas donation. And I'll even get someone else to donate, too if I can get one of the tiny wooden spoons out of the deal!

Brian Howard said...

The Chef John cookbook! GREAT!

Heidi from DenverDryGarden said...

Woot! What's next an appearance on Jimmy Fallon? Letterman? :)

I'll be your first customer, congrats! Have a great holiday,

H

Minh "Sa" Chau said...

Extremely awesome Chef John!
One day I hope to publish a cook book. =).

SP said...

OMG!!! I'm so excited!!

I'll buy that book in heartbeat.

I've been following your blog from (almost) the beginning. You inspired me to start my own. (auntsallygoodfood.com)

Yummy food, a book deal and a HOT chef. You sexy, sexy beast.

ghanima said...

I am very much looking forward to the barbecue sauce. In the meantime, I can only imagine how great the home-cooking must be around your home.

ghanima said...

I am very much looking forward to the barbecue sauce. In the meantime, I can only imagine how great the home-cooking must be around your home.

texichan said...

Oh, wow... I'll be the very first to pre-order your books! I'm a total cookbook fiend. Can't wait for everything to develop!

irene said...

wow congrats, chef john! i love your blog and i wish you continued success, have a great holiday!

Adriana A. said...

oh wow congrats on your cookbook chef!!! i am really excited for you, i can't wait till i get to buy your book and share more of your delicious recipes with my family. And i agree with "milkshake", it looks like soon we will all be bragging that we knew about you and foodwishes before you became an american food icon.
Are you talking about the freakishly wooden spoon? Cuz' then im in!! :D
Good luck on the SFQ! Sound amazing, and hope everything goes well with your mom's surgery!

Granny said...

I will buy those cook books in a heart beat. Love your recipes and please make sure you have lots of photos of the finished dishes. Good luck and stay healthy so you can do all these wonderful projects that are on your plate. If Michele also did a cookbook I bet she could give you a run for your money in sales.

Darya said...

I spoke too soon! Double congratulations!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you Chef John on your cookbooks. I'm so excited and can't wait to have all your cookbooks at home. I loves almost all of your recipes and I always come to foodwishes.com to see and check on your new updates.

Gary said...

I hope they sell an E-book version. I'm not buying any more physical books...it's all digital from now on.