Friday, September 16, 2011

The Crazy Basil Peach Black Pepper Parmigiano-Reggiano Cobbler that Captured My Heart

This unusual basil, peach, black pepper, Parmesan cobbler recipe started out as an innocent experiment making individual-sized cobblers, but somehow spun out of control into weird and wonderful new directions.

I was thinking about a cheese Danish, so I grated some Parmigiano-Reggiano into the batter. I was thinking about Gougères, so I added some freshly ground black pepper as well. I was thinking about a peach and basil sorbet I had one time, and decided that some of the sweet aromatic herb seemed perfectly appropriate.

The result was one of the more interesting and delicious desserts I’ve eaten in a long time. The flavors are subtle, but identifiable. I love, love, loved it. It may sound a little savory, but it was plenty sweet enough, and would make a memorable end to any late summer meal. I hope you give it a try soon. Enjoy!

Note Regarding Self-Rising Flour: As we said in the regular peach cobbler post, it is recommended you go out and get some self-rising flour. You can make it yourself, by adding baking powder and salt to all-purpose flour, but for whatever reason, it just doesn't seem work as well.



Ingredients:
Two 10-oz ramekins with 2 tsp melted butter in each
For the batter:
1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup self-rising flour
2/3 cup milk
1 tbsp finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
pinch of black pepper
For the peaches:
1 large peach, peeled, pitted, sliced into 10-12 slices
2 tbsp sugar
2-3 torn or sliced basil leaves
1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp water

23 comments:

KPeff said...

Yes, but what does this have to do with beef cheeks?

Rita said...

that looks good. but, too bad, i'm not a fan of peaches. any other fruits that might substitute?

Darlene said...

I swear I could smell those fresh peachs and basil! That looks delicious. Might have to give it a try!

Medifast Coupons said...

What a list of ingredients, not the peach cobbler my mother has ever made. I have got to try just to taste. Thanks so much for sharing, loved the video.

Ivan said...

The previous posts referenced weren't hard to find, but this should save some clicks:

http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2011/08/this-peach-cobbler-not-work-of.html

http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2009/10/black-pepper-and-thyme-gougeres-just.html

Ivan said...

Previous posts Chef referenced (not hard to find, I usually end up finding them anyway) to save some clicks:

This Peach Cobbler Not the Work of a Shoemaker

Black Pepper and Thyme Gougères – Just Call Me Puff Daddy

Doug said...

A very interesting recipe, I look forward to trying it. Two questions:

What's with the self-rising flour? (The video says the blog will say more.)

Also, would you use nice, tree-ripened peaches rather than what you get in most supermarkets? They would release more moisture so might affect the texture of the cobbler.

Chef John said...

sorry, just added note about the SRF. Long story short, it just seems to work better than flour with baking powder in it.

IA said...

Now I know what's going to be dessert for supper tonight. Thanks!

I tried your earlier cobbler and was BLOWN away by how good it was. I have since tried to make several single serving variations, primarily MUCH lower in fat and calories ... but as suspected they did suffer from the lack ... unfortunately if I want cobbler I usually have to settle. Not tonight though .. tonight I go all the way ;)

DrEEE said...

Chef Jean, I can't begin to describe how disappointed I am in this recipe. 35 Minutes in the oven? Come on!

Trish said...

I made this last night and even my 14-year-old son was blown away! Thanks Chef John!

boni said...

Wow, that sure looks like you added a lot more than just one tablespoon of Parmigiano-Reggiano???

IA said...

I did not have the basil handy but I did follow the directions as suggested for the rest of the recipe. It turned out delicious! Thanks again for a great finishing dessert! Fast easy and delicious, you can't ask for anything more :)

Elizzaruth said...

I just this the other night for my Sister's birthday and it was every bit as delicious and interesting as I imagined it would be. Hands down the most delicious fruit desert I have ever eaten! And @boni, I thought so too so I used about as much as it looked like since I imagine chef john doesn't really measure things like Parmesan in his recipes and it came out perfect. Trust your eyes!

Monica said...

Made this for dessert on Sunday evening. Used flour, + 1 tsp Baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt and it was delicious. Will make with other fruit.

Unknown said...

Can I use other fruits in this recipe?

I've got a hankering for banana!

Basil said...

Chef John, thanks for the great idea. I added bacon... Also I took the bacon grease, fried some more peaches in it and added the left over batter in all of that to make some pretty amazing almost-clafouti...

Anonymous said...

Chef John,

Don't shoot but can I use canned peaches??

Chef John said...

sure!

Tavish said...

I feel like I was the only one who got the Eminem reference! Good stuff!

A Raven said...

Great Monica's think alike! I never have SRF. But, I added the BP and salt. And everything is better with bacon, so I added that, too! Wonderful, Chef!

Aidann said...

I made this because of your little suggestion, reading the Peach Tartine recipe. OMG YUM! This was fantastic! Didn't change a thing. This will be a normal feature for our summer peaches. Much thanks...now cobblers will never be boring again!

Unknown said...

Chef John, I'd like to make this for 12 people. Would this work in large muffin tins? If so, do I need to adapt the recipe by doubling it?