Thursday, June 20, 2013

Avocado Tomatillo Salsa – A Simple Green Sauce for Summer

This spectacularly simple green sauce may be the perfect summer condiment. It requires no cooking, only takes minutes, looks gorgeous, and tastes amazing with anything grilled, and most things not. 

It’s also great for treating a bad sunburn. That’s right, just serve this and chips along with three or four margaritas, and the victim will feel significantly better in no time.

I will admit this is a sauce I take for granted. I’m lucky enough to live near San Francisco’s Mission District, and there are hundreds of taquerias and restaurants, all of which feature some type of fresh, green salsa. Each place uses a slightly unique combination of ingredients, but I’ve never had one I didn’t enjoy. 

Not all contain avocado, but I really like the addition since it adds a wonderful richness, and the extra fat helps carry the other flavors around. As you’ll see next week, this was delicious on some pork tacos, but there are so many other amazing options. Try it on scrambled eggs, use it as a relish for sausage, or as a dip for fried-anything.  I really hope you give this a try soon. Enjoy!


Ingredients for about 1 1/4 cups:
1 generous cup sliced tomatillos (about 6 oz by weight)
*Note: if you can’t find fresh, you can use canned tomatillos in a pinch
1 tbsp minced Serrano pepper, or to taste
1 large ripe avocado
1/4 cup packed cilantro leaves
1/2 lime, juiced
salt to taste

View the complete recipe

20 comments:

cookinmom said...

Looks good!! Will have to try this. Food wish...since I have a zillion tomatoes from the garden, any chance of a tomatoe pie in the near future??? Pleazzzzzze!!!

Anonymous said...

beautiful, C.J. I love it! I will do this recipe soon!

Drake said...

How does it keep in the fridge?

Drake said...

How does it keep in the fridge?

dave said...

This looks great, will try it today. Reminds me a little bit of the Avocado Butter that Alton Brown makes, only because of the great way it goes on meats. If you've never made that, search for Avocado Butter Good Eats and you'll find it, it became a staple/goto recipe for me to top cedar plank salmon. But I digress, I will definitely try this salsa!

Chef John said...

Couple days maybe?

Shauza said...

Made it, used it, Wife is in love with it. I happened to have some boneless ribs going in the crock pot, instead of BBQ, we went the Salsa route on the pork. Fantastic!

Ben Hummel said...

I made this salsa along with the home-made tortillas on your blog, heated up some re-fried beans and ground hamburger with taco seasoning, and grated some sharp cheddar and it was amazing! It just took a little effort and I had something I would expect from a restaurant.

Thanks Chef!

TheProf'sWife said...

Tomatillo tart? Yes, please!
Thanks Chef John.

Μαίρη (Ginger) said...

my tomato garden has already green fruits as soon as they turn red I will definitely try this recipe. Avocado I findi all the time

I just wish I knew what is that Serrano peppers

Thank YOU

Danbs1217 said...

Delicious on pork loin for dinner tonight. Thank you!

Danbs1217 said...

Delicious on pork loin for dinner tonight. Thank you!

Matt said...

I would love to show my appreciation to you and this blog! Being a college student, loving to cook, and just a beginner, you have been a huge inspiration. Well done videos, great personality, and the recipes done the right way: simply. I have already tried two different recipes the vodka sauce and the garlic soup with the bread, both became favorites and are going into the recipe rotation. The only thing I am upset about is that I have not found you sooner!

Chef John said...

Thank you!

Unknown said...

Looks good, I had one of your classes at the CC about 10 years ago, and it was probalby the most benificial (butchery with Stazi being a close second). Food costing a menu got me my first Sous Chef job. I'm out of the business now but I still cook every day.

Chef John said...

Hello Mike! Great hearing from former students! Thank you!

orwood1 said...

Hi, Chef John,

Oh, I love you so (and my husband said that was fine as long as I keep making him your recipes). This was the first time I ever worked with tomatillos and thanks to this scrumptious recipe, it won't be the last. I love all your recipes. I'm so grateful that you share your expertise, heavenly food and your most excellent humor. Thank you so much! Jillian -- waving South to you from Oregon.

orwood1 said...

Hi, Chef John,

Oh, I love you so (and my husband said that was fine as long as I keep making him your recipes). This was the first time I ever worked with tomatillos and thanks to this scrumptious recipe, it won't be the last. I love all your recipes. I'm so grateful that you share your expertise, heavenly food and your most excellent humor. Thank you so much! Jillian -- waving South to you from Oregon.

Chef John said...

Thank you!

Matt said...

I've made this almost once a week and we love it. We like a stronger citrus flavor so I started adding lime zest.