Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Sloppy Toms – This Sandwich Has a Great Personality

I was so excited I’d been able to make such a fine Sloppy Joe with ground turkey instead of the usual beef, that I didn’t even consider its unsightly appearance as I ate. It wasn’t until later, as I edited the footage and photos that I realized this was not an attractive dish.

Even the best looking Sloppy Joe is a homely plate of food, but this was made even more so by the pale turkey meat. As I mentioned in the video, I believe a more thorough browning of the onions would have helped the color, and I will test that theory the next time I make this.

In fairness, it did look a little better in person, and the taste and texture were exactly as I had hoped. It tasted enough like a traditional beef Sloppy Joe to provide that satisfying comfort food fix, yet seemed much lighter.

Superficial beauty aside, this made for a very enjoyable lunch, and kept warm in a slow cooker, could also work very nicely for a Super Bowl party. I hope you give it a try soon. By the way, thanks to Me.Eat.Food for inspiring today post title! Enjoy!



Ingredients for 6 Portions:
2 tbsp butter
1 onion
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/4 pounds ground turkey plus 1/2 cup cold water
3/4 cup ketchup
1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar, or to taste
cayenne to taste
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 cup water, or as needed
1/3 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup shredded white cheddar cheese

View the complete recipe

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

what is a loose meat sandwitch??11!
I DO want to know!!!!

Anonymous said...

what is a loose meat sandwitch??11!
I DO want to know!!!!

Rita said...

gangster lean? that's funny.

comfort food with a twist. yes, a must try!

Steven K. said...

Please, please come up with a recipe for Suave Steve. Preferably something with lobster tails. Btw, the next thing I'm cooking at home will be your technique for making hamburger buns using the no-knead bread recipe. That was in your "Sloppy Giuseppe" recipe, which makes this "Sloppy Tom" recipe at least your third sloppy recipe, so we really are overdue for a suave recipe.

blogagog said...

Ground turkey. Haha, good one chef!

joseph said...

tater tots... the official side dish of anything sloppy!

looooooool

inchrisin said...

I tried this out and made some loose meat fajitas. Very good! Because of your video, I was unafraid to boil 1.5# of frozen turkey to get it thawed and into the pan in a timely fashion. I also added some cumin, chipotle, and chopped green peppers to make it healthy. :) Thanks John

Anonymous said...

Hey Chef John,

Was there a particular reason you left out the garlic, bell pepper, and mustard that you use in your beef version of sloppy joes for this recipe?

Thanks!

Chef John said...

Since it was my first time with turkey, I was afraid to do too much. Next time I will embellish.

Pantalone said...

Might use/specify ground turkey thighs (dark meat)instead of the lean stuff -- Dark meat is a little more amenable to browning?

Pam Zirbel said...

Just found your site! This is cool to watch a GUY cook...must have the hubby watch you!! I married a man that doesnt cook!! Arrrrgh!!! Well...pisgetti...but so can a 3 yr old!! [yea I know...a 3 yr old shouldnt be by the stove!!] Now I am off to watch more of your videos!! 'Gangsta lean...' funny guy you are!! Love it!!....Pam

Home-Cook said...

The ground turkey meat looks like mechanically recovered meat (MRM), rather like the like pink slime some fast-food chains call burgers...

Jenna Stratman said...

You seriously make the most simple food more interesting! Keep up the amazing work!

PS, yes I DO want to know what a loose meat sandwich is!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for what you do here on Foodwishes. You've inspired me, and given me enough confidence to try cooking. My husband thanks you too!

PS- funny commentary!

Chris said...

On this one, I tried imagining you doing this like an elementary school lunch lady (circa 1960-70's style) with the hair net and all.

Great spin on a classic, Chef J.

PaloAlto said...

I made this last night; I really like the way the onions kind of melted into the whole thing and the turkey was in small bits. It was "pasty". I did, however, really doctor is up with a lot more Worcestershire, mustard, cocoa, red pepper flakes. big hit! Thanks for such a great foundation.

kinectick said...

Thanks so much for this recipe. "The Man" doesn't do beef, pork, or fried foods, so any help you can give me in keeping translating more dishes into chicken and turkey only is very appreciated!

Anonymous said...

I think I'm going to make this for my superbowl party...but miniaturized as sliders. I think my place is going to be a mess though

Anonymous said...

Chef John,
You have inspired me to try cooking after years of avoiding it. Your videos are very easy to follow and you have a great way of inspiring confidence and making it less intimidating. Not wanting my 13-year old to grow up like I did not knowing to cook, we are learning together - and made your Sloppy Toms tonight - YUM! THANK YOU for sharing your talent!
Austin, Tx

Anonymous said...

This hit the spot! (Standing, obscenely applauding, yadda/yadda, bow-wow, wuff-wuff;)