Thursday, May 2, 2013

Shrimp & Jalapeno Nachos for Cinco de Mayo or Cinco de Anytime

These simple and addictive shrimp and jalapeno nachos are not only a nice alternative to more common versions, but a great reminder of how this iconic snack was actually intended to be served. Contrary to current fashion, nachos didn’t start out as a giant pile of chips drenched in ladles of florescent gold cheese sauce.

The earliest versions were made by simply broiling a single layer of cheese-topped chips, which were then garnished with jalapeno peppers – simple and elegant, with every chip genetically identical to the next. Over time we’ve added hundreds of toppings, as well as replaced the broiled (real) cheese with something that you can also use to grease an axel.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy the aforementioned version just as much as the next guy wearing pajama jeans, but once in a while it’s good to revisit a simpler time in American snacking. If you’re planning to party, I wish you a fun and safe Cinco de Mayo, and hope you give these very tasty chips a try. Enjoy!


Ingredients for 4 Portions:
1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp (I used 50-60 per pounds size, which are ideal for this)
1 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
pinch of cayenne
1/4 tsp ground chipotle pepper
salt and pepper to taste
50-60 large tortilla chips, or as needed
2 jalapeno peppers, sliced very thin
about 3 1/2 cups of shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
avocado creama (1 avocado, 1 cup sour cream, and juice of 1 lemon or 2 limes; liquefied in a blender)
sliced cherry tomatoes and freshly chopped cilantro to garnish

View the complete recipe

8 comments:

Steve Kennedy said...

These look excellent. I am a huge Roll Tide, Alabama fan. Around my house we eat shrimp every game day, which is 14 weeks if we are lucky, and we have been lucky lately:). Boiled shrimp get boring, but it is a family tradition to have shrimp on game day.
Your coconut shrimp bisque is awesome, and really made last year more bearable, and so much tastier than 2011.
I need to start practicing now.

cookinmom said...

I'm glad you wore a shirt too!!!:)

Unknown said...

FACT: Not only is this great for Cinco de Mayo, but it lines up perfectly with the Isle of Eight Flags Shrimp Festival in Fernandina Beach, Florida (my hometown). You planned it that way, didn't you?! Looks like I have another yummy shrimp recipe to add to my collection!

http://www.shrimpfestival.com/

Anonymous said...

you forgot to list jalapenos in the ingredients!

Unknown said...

Hi chef John! I have never posted on a blog in my life but I love food wishes so much I had to join your blog!!! You are amazing and have transformed me into a good cook so thank you so much :) I am conjuring up a food wish in my head and saving some cash for a generous donation to get her done! You have no idea how awesome you are. Enjoy the heat in Cali and keep up the good work as always enjoy ::::))))

Unknown said...

Great job chef! These sound incredible, always love your videos :)

Unknown said...

These are beautiful. Can't wait to try them. This is a recipe you just know is going to be awesome. And since my b-day is Cinco de Mayo... I have an excellent reason to make a batch! Thanks Chef.

Unknown said...

Very good chef john. Happy New Year