Sunday, March 15, 2015

Attn: Lads and Lasses

I just wanted to take a break from the buffalo and bacon meatloaf video I'm working on to share a few St. Patrick's Day menu ideas. I know it's going to be hard to concentrate after hearing about buffalo and bacon meatloaf, but if you can pull it together, take a peek at some of my favorite Irish-inspired recipes below. Just click on the title to see the original post and ingredients. Enjoy!

Irish Pork Stew with Baby Cabbage

Okay, so they're Brussels sprouts, but still, this was one of the best Irish stews I've ever had. 

Shepherd’s Pie

A classic comfort food your flock will, well, flock to. 

Coconut Milk Corned Beef and Cabbage

I gave the most traditional St. Patrick's Day recipe a little twist. Actually, a pretty big twist.

Colcannon 

The name has nothing to do with viking-killing leprechauns.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Surprised you didn't include the corned beef -> pastrami recipe :) It's one of my favourites!

Mark said...

Chef John, these are all great.

One thing I've always wanted to know is is there an Irish dish that involves things called Dublin Bay Prawns. It's just that I remember watching this great cookery series on TV when I was a boy called Floyd On France. And the one thing that really stuck in my mind was Keith Floyd's absolute raving for things called langoustines in French - they were in all sorts of great dishes. Thing is though, the name for these in Ireland and Britain is a Dublin Bay Prawn.

Ever since finding this out I've always wondered - given that here they're named after a city in Ireland - if there's a seafood dish of Irish origin with them in it.

In case I've lost you, Wikipedia says they're also known as Norway lobsters/scampi. The Latin name is Nephrops norvegicus.

Regards,
Mark

S/V Blondie-Dog said...

Greetings Chef, I too be in total agreement with Cured Pork Belly's comment regarding the corned beef - pastrami. It's da' bomb! I make it every year right after the corned beef goes on sale at heavily discounted prices. Thanks! You still be da' best!

Chef John said...

I love it too, but it's just that pastrami isn't Irish!