Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Cutting Tips To Avoid Cutting Tips – Plus Bonus “Creamed” Corn Recipe!

While the grilled salmon with bacon and corn relish recipe we posted Monday was extremely well received, some viewers had a problem with my extremely dangerous and difficult to perform method for shaving the corn off the cob.

So, just in case you’re one of these people who prefer your culinary techniques not to be dangerous or difficult, I’m posting this alternative method. Sure it’s just as fast, just as easy, and way safer, but you do have to admit, my style was way more exciting.

Anyway, since I had freshly cut corn at my heavily-scared fingertips, I decided to show you my new favorite recipe for creamed corn. This lower-cal take on the classic side dish features Greek yogurt and a little Indian spice, and I was absolutely thrilled with how it came out. 

The flavor was great, and the tangy yogurt gave the dish such an interesting texture. I couldn’t stop eating it. So, if you’re looking for another easy, and relatively healthy way to enjoy fresh, sweet corn, I hope you give this a try soon. Just be safe, and as always, enjoy!


Ingredients for 4 portions:
2 large ears sweet corn
2 tsp olive oil
salt to taste
2 cloves garlic, minced
cayenne to taste
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp garam masala
3 tbsp plain Greek yogurt (or more if you want it creamier)
2 tsp freshly sliced chives

View the complete recipe

12 comments:

Gloria - The Internet GADabout said...

I'd like to offer another alternative for cutting the corn, having frozen fresh-out-of-the-garden sweet corn for years. Use a round angel food cake pan. Put the small end of the ear into the hole of the center tube of the pan and cut away as you show. The ear is less likely to slip and the pan catches the kernels. Learned this trick 30+ years ago and it's a winner!

Steve Kennedy said...

I like my corn to travel from the cob to my tummy with no detours. The spice and yogurt mix looks good, I am going to try mixing it all together then put it on the corn, with a basting brush. It is going to be messy, but it is summer, and this sounds good with grilled pork chops, which are messy too.
Some food is just meant to be eaten with fingers:)

Marijane said...

This looks divine and it's the perfect time of the year to post this recipe! After about three weeks of lovely, sweet corn-on-the-cob (almost nightly) I'm ready for a twist and I love Indian spices and yogurt. Thanks, John.

P.S. I did try your Mexican sweet corn recipe posted earlier, with success too. The grated cheese on top was fabulous and I find myself using it often on sweet corn-on-the-cob with just butter and salt. Yum!

snowflake said...

I used low fat sor cream instead of Greek yogurt (didn't have any yogurt on hand) and it was delicious! Thanks

Anonymous said...

I forgot to make my yogurt this week so I used your crème fraiche instead; shazzam!

Dustin said...

what's up with the plate?

Magnifica said...

How can something so simple taste so amazing? Love this recipe!!!!!

Unknown said...

With all the tips that help avoid having to wash another dirty bowl, maybe the site should be called foodwishes.lessdishes.com?

This recipe looks awesome, by the way.

dcheng said...

Nice corn cutting technique. Since I'm an even bigger wimp and have a fear of knives (mainly due to my little sister chasing me with a meat cleaver when we were kids), I also use one of those cob holders to hold the cob upright and cut down the kernels. Works great!

cookinmom said...

I have a hard time watching you cut that corn. I cringed when you were doing it. All you had to do was do a fake ouch! and I would have stopped the video! Lol

Unknown said...

This is a gorgeous change to my usual boring corn. So good ive made it twice in a week! Had to make my own garam marsala from my pantry spices, but it worked a treat!
Ground cumin, termeric, cinnamon, black pepper, clove, cardamom in a mortar and pestle and bobs your uncle! ;-)
The first time I used greek yog, second, creme fraiche. Both brill. Thanks John.

Billy MacKenzie said...

Made this With my secret Garam Masala blend and some fine Spanish Sweet Paprika I subbed the Cayenne for my new favorite Aji Amarillo. This was very tasty, although I cut all my fingers off.