Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Cheese Soufflé – Rising to the Occasion

I’m going to let you in on a little secret. Soufflés are easy. Yes, I said it…easy. Especially the cheese soufflé I demo in this video recipe clip. The soufflé is one of those recipes that Chefs like to think only they can do properly. The cliché of the housewife crying over the fallen soufflé has become part of our collective culinary consciousness. Granted, you do have to follow a couple steps properly (which you are about to see in the video), but anyone can do this soufflé; even the novice cook.

The base to this cheese soufflé is our classic Béchamel sauce that has been posted previously. PLEASE note: in this demo I start with a 2 cup batch of Béchamel to which I add my 4oz. of grated cheese. BUT, I only use 1 cup of the cheese-infused Béchamel for this recipe. I saved the rest for a batch of Croque Monsieur that I promise to show you soon (just in case you’ve never heard of a Croque Monsieur, it’s only the greatest open-faced sandwich ever!). Another recipe tip; make sure your eggs are cold. The cold yolks will help cool down the warm cheesy Béchamel, and cold egg whites will whip up much easier. Also, the cooking time given is just a guide. I was using 5 oz ramekins, which gave me 6 soufflés. If you use a different size, you’ll just have to keep an eye on them…and YES, it’s OK to peek in the oven, the soufflé is NOT going to fall from a quick peak. Visually, when they look fully puffed up, they are done. In fact, true soufflé connoisseurs don’t mind it if the center of the soufflé is still a bit runny.

As far as cheese choices, I went with a classic Cave-aged Gruyere (Swiss) cheese and some parmesan. Almost any cheese will work as long as it’s similar in texture to what I used. If you decide to use a softer cheese like Goat cheese, or Brie, then this recipe would have to be adjusted. Try These!! Enjoy.


For the Cheesy Bechamel Sauce Base:
2 cups hot prepared Bechamel sauce (see clip!)
4 oz grated Gruyere Cheese
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/4 cup grated Parmesan

NOTE: WE ARE ONLY USING A CUP OF THIS MIXTURE FOR OUR DEMO BELOW! Save the rest. You’ll be glad you did when you see our Croque Monsieur recipe.

To make the Soufflés:
1 cup of the Cheesy Bechamel Sauce Base described above
4 cold egg yolks
4 cold egg whites
butter to grease ramekins

Parmesan to dust ramekins and top of soufflés
Yeilds: Six Soufflés (5-oz ramekins)

Last note: Since my original Béchamel sauce was perfectly seasoned, I didn’t include any salt or pepper to this soufflé recipe. Of course, adjust to you own tastes.

Old Dutch International 4.5-qt. De La Cuisine Beating Bowl, Copper


Old Dutch International 4.5-qt. De La Cuisine Beating Bowl, Copper

15 comments:

Hao said...

Re: copper and egg white whisking

I figured the use of copper bowls had something to do with activation sites (similar to using not entirely clean glasses for more bubbly champagne), so I looked it up in my copy of "On Food and Cooking". It turns out that egg white foam is basically a structure of tiny bubbles formed from the whisking action. Copper increases the overall volume because it interferes with the bonding action of sulfur in the proteins of egg whites. Essentially, it prevents the bubbles from breaking down and forming liquid again. Silver has the same effect, as do acids. (Harold McGee recommends cream of tartar or lemon juice)

Chef John said...

Yeah, thats what I was going to say... ; )

~ Wilbur M. Reeling ~ said...

OMG!!! HERE IT IS AT LAST.

THANKS A MILLION ... I HAD NOT LOOKED IN A WHILE THINKING YOU WEREN'T GONNA POST IT FOR STALKER-SPITE BUT WE THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

I'LL SEND IT TO THE DAUGHTER TODAY.

QUINTESSENTIAL C U I S I N E©
by Wilbur M. Reeling
epicurean raconteur
http://QuintessentialCuisine.Blogspot.com/
www.WilburMReeling.com

Chef John said...

Your welcome... NOW TURN THOSE GOD DAMN ALL CAPS OFF!! lol

Anonymous said...

umm should you take out the egg umbilical thingies?

Chef John said...

some do, but i've never noticed a problem, so i dont bother.

Anonymous said...

sorry, I can't open the clip of Bechamel sauce. How to make that sauce?

Chef John said...

the link is working for me, but here it is, http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2007/04/bchamel-sauce-lets-turn-this-mother-out.html

Clararar said...

I made this today and it was delicious! Have uploaded photos to my facebook. Thanks again! =)

Now... any chance of a chocolate soufflé video?

Gale said...

what about Gouda cheese? how would you have to adjust the recipe?

Chef John said...

it works with any cheese! go for it!

micbain said...

Chef John,

How would I adjust for a serving size of 2? Can I simply adjust everything to 1/3 as this recipe yields 6?

Cheers,

Anonymous said...

Chef John,

How would I adjusted this for a serving for two? Can I simply adjust the recipe to 1/3 of ingredients as this one yields 6.

Cheers,

Chef John said...

I'd half it since it calls for 4 eggs.

Anonymous said...

Thanks!