Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Homemade Wonton Crisps

This easy wonton chip would be a perfect garnish for the beautiful Bay Scallop Ceviche I just posted. I normally avoid any in-home deep-frying, but as you’ll see in this clip, these go so fast, and we use such a small amount of oil that it’s actually quite fast and easy. Most grocery stores carry both round and square “wonton wrappers” or, as they are sometimes called, “wonton skins.”



Tuna “Poke” with Avocado and Mango

Since I mentioned Tuna Poke in the Wonton Chip clip above, I thought I better post this recipe that was originally posted on my old blog. This version pairs the silky texture of the fresh tuna, with the sweet, vibrant flavor of mango, and the smooth richness of avocado. It’s dressed very simply with rice vinegar, soy, and lime. We also cut our tuna into a small dice so we can present it molded into small ramekins. This is simple to make, and a great, light, first course to any dinner.

If you chill in the ramekins for an hour as we suggest the tuna will still be basically raw. This is how the dish is intended to be eaten. However, if you are not able to eat raw tuna (come on, give it a try!!) then leave them in the fridge for 2-3 more hours and the acids in the dressing will “cook” the fish. This is exactly the same process as a Ceviche.



Ingredients:
1 lb. Ahi tuna steak
1/2 ripe mango
1/2 avocado
1 tbl minced ginger
1/2 lime
1 tsp chili paste or hot sauce
2 tbl seasoned rice vinegar
1 tbl soy sauce

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

look beautiful! i wish i had nice avocado right now.

Anonymous said...

This is for the wonton crisps, they look really tasty. But did you know that you could cut them into strips and put them in salad instead of croutons.Trust me its relly good.;)

Chef John said...

yes, I did know that. I'm a Chef, we know everything, just ask us!

Anonymous said...

Alright then if you know so much then could you make a video showing us a salad with the wonton strips?

Anonymous said...

Hi Chef,
I love your recipes! Do you have one for Tuna tartare? They always serve it with a creamy orangy sauce that they drizzle around it. They serve it with the wonton chips too. Absolutely delicious. I want to make it at home but don't know how. I can't find any decent recipes online either. Can you help?

Chef John said...

did you happen to see the tuna poke video directly following the chips? That's really the same thing as tartare. They are lots of sauce, so I'm not sure which one you had.

Anonymous said...

Hi Chef,
I'll try the tune poke this weekend. It looks delicious! Usually, when I eat tuna tartar's at restaurants, or even specialty rolls, they always drizzle some kind of sauce over it. It might be for presentation, but the flavors go great with the rolls or dish they are serving. I'm just curious if you knew any of it. It looks like a mayo/siracha type sauce. I guess I should experiment. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!