Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Halloween Special: "Severed Finger" Cheese Sticks!

Michele and I just returned from our romantic Sonoma 10th anniversary get-way, but before I left I filmed this very cool (and very gross) "severed fingers" Halloween treat. I got the idea from the blog, Our Best Bites, and decided to tweak it a little bit and add some hot sauce "blood" to the torn appendages.

This would make quite an eye-catching appetizer tray for your upcoming Halloween party -- come on, what kid wouldn't think you were the coolest parent ever, if you made some of these? Be sure to tear the cheese sticks in half as irregularly as possible, as this really gives it that stomach-turning realism.

This video recipe will finally give you hardcore food snobs (you know who you are!) a chance to eat string cheese. You know you've wanted to for so long, but were afraid you would be seen with it at the market and not have a decent excuse -- problem solved. Enjoy!


17 comments:

Anonymous said...

the nails are the best part xD

Jen said...

This actually startled me.

btw, this is the second time it's happened, but when I click on "comments" I get a bunch of popup windows redirecting me to something funky. Hacked recently?

Chef John said...

haven't seen anything weird, that's never happened to me.

Úlfar said...

That effect is sooo cheesy.

Unknown said...

Comments working fine, as far as I can tell.

We're going to a potluck dinner party for Halloween. Thanks again, Chef John, for keeping me on the "cutting edge" of what to bring, with such a nail biting scary treat.

Chef John said...

These are puns only a "Mummy" could love!

milkshake said...

a perfect finger-food for the party...

Maybe can you make a brain-shaped Lecter key lime pie, preferably colored in glistering shades of greyish-pink?

Unknown said...

Good one-liner, Milkshake! Mummy likes it!

poophead said...

hahahaha, oh man. Chef John you are too much

KPeff said...

Ketchup?

Why not marinara sauce?

Connie T. said...

When I clicked comment I got a popup too. Then I finally got the comment box.
I love this video. Great Halloween food. I eat cheese sticks all the time anyway.

Jesse from Detroit said...

Now I'll have something spookier for my halloween party than my puffless cheese puffs.

Chef John said...

haha! If it makes you feel any better, I've gotten a few emails telling me how great the puffs turned out. ;-)

Binderiya said...

OMG that looked so scary, Thank u Chef John!!! I love ur recipes.

Alisa@Foodista said...

I can just imagine the reaction this will get from my niece-who's also crazy about cheese as I am. They look so real...I love it!

Jens C. Kruse said...

Thank you for the post

Unknown said...

The nails are the best part. And thanks for this post
bullet force