Friday, October 31, 2014

Crispy Pork Belly with Celery Root Puree – Three Fats Beat as One

Thanks to social media, food bloggers, and celebrity chefs with too much time on their hands, pork belly was/is all the rage. It’s a common site on menus across the land, and you can’t channel surf past a food show without seeing it.

It also helps that people are no longer terrified to eat a little fat, and that’s what I’m banking on with this pork belly recipe. Yep, turns out sugar and the simple carbs do the real damage, so belly up to the bar. Sure, the fat content is a tad high, but it’s no different than that your average sausage link, and when paired with a tart, aromatic, root vegetable puree, it doesn’t feel heavy.

In fact, I use a touch of extra virgin olive oil to accent the meat and celery root. Celeriac is delicious, but fat free, and even though I added a little butter, the grassy, peppery oil lends a bracing richness. The same goes for the crispy-edged pork belly, and the dish provides an opportunity to enjoy three great fats doing three different things. I thought this was amazing.

I recommend getting your pork belly with the skin removed. It can get supper tough, and I prefer to work with it on it’s own (see Chicharrón). We still get plenty of crispy goodness, and I want nice, tender, succulent bites; not something that’s work to chew.

As I mentioned, I will show you the celery root recipe in the next video, so stay tuned for that. If you just can’t wait, I’m happy to report that this can be served with all your favorite pork chop sauces and sides, so feel free to jump the gun, or root in this case. I hope you give this great fall appetizer a try soon. Enjoy!


Ingredients for 6 appetizer-sized portions :
1  1/2 pound pork belly, skin removed
season generously with salt, pepper, and smoked paprika
- Wrap as show and roast for 6 hours at 200 F. (*Note: I said 5 1/2 in the video, but my pork was almost room temp, so I’m adding 30 minutes since most people will use chilled meat)
- Chill, cut into serving sized pieces and crisp up in reserved fat before serving

19 comments:

Daniel Bottoms said...

wow. simply wow! We do celeriac puree all the time, but jeweled with that pork belly?! Amazing! Can't wait to do this next week (sadly already did the shopping for the weekend!).

Angela said...

I never had pork belly and can't wait to try this recipe. It looks beautiful.

Chris K. said...

Thank you for not using the word 'unctuous.'

Josh said...

Wow, looks amazing. I have two questions. One, what did you use for garnish? Two, what do you think about throwing the belly on the smoker for 30 minutes or so to infuse some of the smoke into the pork after it has chilled and before you crisp it up?

bdwilcox said...

You are the Machiavelli of your pork belly.

Wonni said...

Hello, I agree with you that people should not be afraid of eat a bit fat from time to time. The body needs fat to stay healthy, but everything in moderation.
I wonder why you pack the meat first in baking paper and then in silver foil. Is silver foil not enough?
I look forward to the next dishes.

S/V Blondie-Dog said...

Greetings Chef! I'll has ya' knows' dat' my finicky lady-friend be second generation Hungarian Gypsy and claims dat' Hungarians do luvs' their pork. In fact, she also claims dat' her kinfolk eat everything but the pig squeal. Ya' suppose dis' mights' perhaps be made up? Thanks! You're da' best!

MTWiki India said...

It looks really delicious recipes and I must like to cook it but first I’m going to try out fried fish with sweet and sour sauce because I love to eat fish recipes. Can you share some fish or fried fish recipes that I can cook in short time period with electric oven? Hope you’ll share it soon for me and my family.

Jef said...

This meal is basically carb-free, and as we all know its the carbs and sugars that make one fat...so no worries about the extra olive oil in this dish! :D

Andrew's Reclaimed said...

don't look like it will taste carb-free though! adding to this week's dinners!

S/V Blondie-Dog said...

Greetings again Chef, It occurs to me that with all that left over pork belly, you may wanna' perhaps consider making a pot of steamed rice with tocino. I'm pretty sure that's what my abuela would have done. Thanks!

Unknown said...

I have given this recipe a try. Absolutely amazing! It is now down on my party food list.

Unknown said...

This recipe is the best I have found yet. So tender and flavorful! Thanks for posting this recipe. I served it with the grilled dill pickles from your recipe too. The flavors went well together with Hoisin sauce.

beemo said...

Pork belly! I have loved it since 2001 when I spent the first of many years living in Asia (Korea & Thailand)

I tried your method here and the result is delicious, juicy, tender, tasty, etc. Thanks again

(Sadly I can never find celeriac here, although it's rumored to exist)

beemo said...

Friend of mine, fellow veteran of teaching English in Korea, is coming over tomorrow, and I have this recipe of yours on the slow cook for turning into samgyupsal. Have already tried it for such, results excellent. Ssamjang, gennip, and other banchan all fresh and ready to go. This western-made samgyupsal will be totally satisfying, mostly thanks to you Chef John.

beemo said...

Forgot to add follow up: Our samgyupsal using your version of slow-roasted pork belly turned out better than we dared to imagine. Not just one, but a total of three hardened samgyupsal veterans were on hand (including yours truly) and unanimous decision was drastically in favor.

Unknown said...

Love the recipe! Question for you: Is there a per pound time for roasting on pork belly? Or an internal temperature to shoot for? I'd like to try this with a whole belly (4-5 pounds) which obviously changes the roasting time.

Unknown said...

Is it possible to use a slab of cured bacon instead of the pork belly?

Kathy G. said...

Planning to make this tonight but wondering if the pork belly could be cooked, chilled, cut into portions and then frozen so the meat could be thawed and final frying done before serving at a later date? Can't wait to try this...it looks delicious!