Friday, February 23, 2007

Dijon Pan Jus

Sorry to keep you waiting! Here is the sauce clip as promised. This technique is so crucial since it allows for a very fast and elegant sauce anytime you've roasted meat in a pan. All it requires is the "fond" (refer to clip for definition), some type of liquid, and a small chuck of cold butter. At the end of the clip I explain my thought process regarding the exact ingredients to use, but the technique is ALWAYS the same; deglaze, reduce, finish with butter.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It helps me start to think about the overall balance of the dish to hear the basic steps defined, deglaze, reduce, add butter. Hhearing the thought process of...savoryish filling - balance with sweeter sauce etc. Helps me think about how to cook rather than follow a recipe.

Thanks

Chef John said...

Thanks! You "get it"...many people don't understand the difference between cooking and following a recipe. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I made the stuffed pork tenderloin tonight. In fact I am eating it RIGHT NOW! (multitasking) I created my own concoction for the pan sauce with some wine AND chicken stock among various other things that were close at hand and seemed to work in the dish. Thank you so much for all of your inspiration!

Jesse from Detroit said...

YES! Very excited to learn another dish with pan sauce...

Anonymous said...

thanks, I'm gonna try this technique tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

i want to make this for a new year's eve party for 10 people. How much pork tenderloin would you recommend (I'm thinking 3 1 1/2 lb tenderloins?> Also, what accommodations would I make for the dijon sauce? Thanks

Chef John said...

id do 3 or 4 loins and probably do 3x the sauce recipe.