Friday, August 28, 2009

Heading South to Tri Tip Nirvana

We're just about to leave for Santa Maria, California for a weekend expedition to research and report on this area's famous (borderline mythical) barbecued tri tip.

Sunset Magazine once called this red oak roasted beef, "the best barbecue in the world." Sure, I could just take their word for it, but I decided to arrange a little excursion to investigate for myself.

I'll be interviewing the local tri tip aristocracy to learn the real history, recipes and techniques.

I've already posted my versions of the barbecued tri tip and the Santa Maria-style pinquito beans (pictured here with links to the videos), which I love, but I may have to make a few alterations once I see how they're truly supposed to be done. Stay tuned!

By the way, I'll be tweeting away during the trip, so if you're not already following me on Twitter, here is a link to get connected! Enjoy!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Have a super fun weekend!

averagebetty said...

Travel safely and have fun... looking forward to seeing how you can perfect your already brilliant tri-tip!

Anonymous said...

Just a question, do you put the lid down on the grill or leave it up(uncovered)between bastings

Chef John said...

I did not cover it

Chef John said...

"Barbeque is meat cooked slowly over indirect heat... "

That my friend is the modern southern BBQ definition BUT the original indiginous meaning from which the word barbecue comes from simply means any meat cooked over a wood fire pit. So they are perfectly correct to call it barbecue. Technically, gas grills can't BBQ something, but everything done over wood is fair game notwithstanding cooking times.

Yum && Dawn said...

so chef john, do you give your steaks a rinse down b4 you cook them? or is it not advisable to do so...

Chef John said...

i do not

Flo said...

I ADORE YOUR BLOG. And the videos, recipes, and EVERYTHING.
Is it true that I can send you my own pictures of recipes made?
You rock.
Cheers from Chile, South America.

Chef John said...

yes you can! foodwishes@yahoo.com

dawn said...

On a qn related to one above...does washing beef steak before cooking it destroy its taste or something? because i wash my steaks too but pat them dry soon after.