Friday, September 11, 2009

A Lazy Man's Upside Down Barbecue Meatloaf

As I've mentioned in a previous post, Michele and I have been working on a San Francisco-style barbecue sauce, called SFQ. It's quite an unusual, but still familiar BBQ sauce that features hints of chocolate, coffee, and red wine vinegar.

It's not quite ready for sale yet (but will be for Christmas, hint, hint), but I've been playing around with it in various recipes, and this meatloaf video shows one such experiment.


When I've done "barbecue meatloaf" before, I've simply used the standard spoon the glaze on the top of the loaf and bake it method. This time I wanted to line the loaf pan with some of the sauce, press the meat in, and let it roast in the goodness.

I was envisioning a beautiful, glossy finish when I turned it on to the serving platter. As you'll see, it wasn't quite as aesthetically pleasing as I had hoped (it was ugly). But hey, this is quick and dirty, fast and half-assed, home cooking. It may not have looked good, but it tasted fine!

When you factor in the almost complete absence of prep work, the results can't be described as anything other than successful. The rich, aromatic barbecue sauce permeated the meatloaf more deeply than if it had simply been baked on top.

Of course, if you do have the time and energy, this same upside down barbecue glaze method would work so nicely on a more involved meatloaf recipe with the traditional sautéed diced aromatic vegetables. Either way, it's just dinner. Enjoy!



Ingredients:
1 3/4 - 2 pounds ground beef (very cold)
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp celery salt
pinch of cayenne
1/4 tsp chipotle
1 tsp garlic powder (not salt)
1 tsp onion powder (not salt)
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp ketchup
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to buy your bbq sauce!

tut said...

Good luck with your sauce Chef!I not really a pasta hamburger fan so can't really comment about that,hope you get some time at home to recharge though. Been a busy summer!!!

Luatica said...

I guess usualy is on top for glazin because moisture can go out and reduce to become glazy, maybe.

Im sure Alton Brown would have a proper explanation.

Anonymous said...

Props for posting an "ugly" dish - good to know that you're human. ~Jesse from Detroit

averagebetty said...

"I eat your meatloaf!"

I'm not the biggest meatloaf fan... but I would eat anything Chef John prepares :)

Anonymous said...

I love you and all your faults.

Asian Malaysian said...

I love the idea of bringing that upside down cake flare to a meatloaf. If only there was a way to make it work better. Maybe putting it right on the bottom of the oven might help. Keep at it, Chef John.

rosemary said...

Now I know that if something does not come out the way I was expecting, I do not have to go into mourning.

Anonymous said...

Nice recipe, I will try this one out later today :)

Btw, Worchestershire sauce is pronounced: wʊstər sɔːs/ WOOS-tər saws :)

Have a nice day!

rita said...

i hope your BBQ sauce will be available to stores that will ship to an APO address.

Anonymous said...

Good advice - for cooking and for life. Thanks Chef John!