Monday, December 29, 2008

Pork Barrel Spending and Beans

In honor of the presidential inauguration, the title of this recipe, "Pork and Beans and Greens - Good Luck Making This," has temporally changed to this more Washington-esqe one.

As many of you foodies already know (it's on the entrance exam), a very traditional southern New Years meal is black-eyed peas, or some other type of bean, and greens. Eating this meager meal on New Years day is supposed to bring you great prosperity for the rest of the year.

This video recipe is a lighter and easier Italian take on the classic, and is topped with some crusty, caramelized roast pork. Speaking of the south, you'll see me use a spice rub (a
wet rub, aka "wub") on the pork before roasting for a sort of Italian barbecue effect.

All in all, this is an odd recipe. The pork is not slow-roasted, but cooked at a higher heat for a crusty finish. The greens are not slowly braised, but just wilted. The black-eyed peas have been replaced with cannellini beans. And, I can't guarantee it will bring you the same prosperity as the traditional version. Having said all that, I thought it tasted excellent and I hope you give it a try.

By the way, I will also be doing a traditional version that - with any luck - you'll see before New Years Day. Enjoy!



Ingredients:
4 lb. boneless pork shoulder roast, cut in large pieces
for the wet rub:
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp hot pepper flakes
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp dried oregano
2 cloves garlic
1 rounded tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp wine vinegar
1 tbsp olive oil

1 large bunch arugula
1 14-oz jar cannellini beans
1 lemon
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves sliced garlic


* Please help support free video recipes, and visit my new sponsor, MOZO Shoes. Find out why chefs (like me) are buzzing about their great shoes!

14 comments:

blogagog said...

According to my superstitious wife, you eat the black-eyed peas for luck, and the mustard greens (yes, it has to be mustard) for wealth.

I added one to the list. Eat a steak for happiness! My superstition is the tastiest of the three :).

Anonymous said...

Chef John,

I noticed the garlic has the green sprout in the middle. I've been told to throw this away, but usually I cut around it. Should I keep doing this? What is the green part like?

Anonymous said...

Great video Chef! Best wishes for 2009!

Anonymous said...

jake R-

Don't throw that part away!

Chef John,

That photo of the pork is absolutely awesome looking. Happy New Year!

Jeff

Chef John said...

Yes, happy New Year to you all as well.

The green part of the garlic is just the sprout, is said to be bitter and is usually removed, but when it's a tiny spec I don't bother and have not ever noticed a problem. Since there are actual recipes for garlic sprouts I don't think a small bit hurts anything, but I do remove when it a large sprout.

Anonymous said...

thanks and happy near year to all of yall

Anonymous said...

Dear Chef, i made this for new year's eve, and it's very very delicious ...!

though a few things went wrong with the rubs. i put all the rubs in my pork, which is a big piece for 2-3 people, and it turned out so salty and spicy! then i realised you didn't specify how much pork you used :D

i also used cumin seed and it was way too strong so cumin is what it smelled... but i like cumin and the crusty but tender meat is just gorgeous. Had to drink lot of water along though... Anyway thanks for this great recipe and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Chef John said...

oh my! Yes, the pork shoulder around here are usually about 4 pounds. So thanks to you and your water glass I have added the weight to the recipe. Happy New Year.

Anonymous said...

HAAhaaaha you can't fake sounds like that...nice.

Anonymous said...

Chef John, these Beans with Greens remind me of a memorable and similar veg paired with duck confit I once had at Copia in Napa. Thanks for sharing. I'll have to try this next time I make your confit recipe.

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT!!!

Anonymous said...

Chef John, have you ever thought to do a dried pork chunks. The Cuban, (I believe they fry them)way. We are from Miami and that is my husbands favorite dish when we go out to Latin. Would love to make at home! Just wonderin'

cookinmom said...

I second Anonymous re: dried pork chunks. My husband is from Miami and he too would be tickled pink! Well...maybe blue!

cookinmom said...

Wow...this was really, I mean really good! My husband loves Masitas de Puerco which is the pork chunks but he likes the flavor of this. It was a winner, winner, great dinner tonight, chef. I used spinach from my garden instead of arugula because that's all I had. mmm,mmm,good!