Thursday, March 1, 2007

“See-through” Herb and Potato Crisps – Worst Demo Ever?

Of all the things I’ve demonstrated on this site, without a doubt, this will be the one that the fewest viewers try. Why? Well, basically we’re going to spend 45 minutes, risk slicing off our finger tips, and when we’re finished we are going to have (if everything goes perfectly) about 10 translucent potato chips with leaves of herbs embedded inside. So why bother? I’m not sure. Just watch the demo and it may make sense. For the hardcore foodie, this may actually be interesting, for the rest of you, not so much.

If done properly (which will probably take you 4 or 5 times) this does make for a very cool garnish. And, for the select few that actually make and serve these, you may get one of your guests to ask, “Oh my God! How did you get the herbs inside that potato chip?!? This is the culinary equivalent of the old ship in the bottle mystery. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
fresh herb leaves (Italian parsley, oregano, tarragon, etc)
1 large russet potato
2 tbl olive oil
salt to taste (after cooked)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made 'em its good for decoration but i did them at a much lower temperature for more time so they dry out completely and become translucent.

TheSkippingSchipperke said...

this is actually one of the only videos I've seen of yours, and I was so intrigued, I went out and bought a potato slicer, silicone brushes and a silicone mat. I was really excited to try this out!

I bought all of it today, and I just finished my first "batch". of course, they didnt turn out as well as I hoped. but now that i've checked back onto your video - I'll try again! (I forgot to peel the potato, and I used rubbed herbs instead of fresh, so the slices dont stick together perfectly.)

but I was so curious when you said most people wont try this - and its the first one I have!

Chef John said...

I'm a very proud Chef right now! :)
That's why I made the joke at the end of the clip about it not being worth it. But when you perfect the method people will be very impressed.

Chef John said...

Btw, PLEASE try some of my easy and delicious recipes also!

Anonymous said...

I'll try it for sure, it looks awesome!

Le Bon Vivant said...

Hey Chef, I'm going to give these a shot too. I'd the "amuse" you did for your Foodbuzz 24 hour tasting, the pringle with caviar. I'm thinking of making the potato crisp with a shaved black truffle inside (I'll probably have to settle for summer instead of winter) with a small dollop of creme fraiche and caviar on top. Think that would work?

- Jai (Home cook/Culinary nerd)

Chef John said...

yes, if it's shaved very thin. Good luck!

Randy said...

I have made this recipe TWICE if you can believe that. When they come out crisp, they get gobbled right up. They were great to munch on in the kitchen while everything else was being prepared. I know that's not exactly showcasing them they way I could if they were paraded around a group of mingling guests, but we were hungry!

Anonymous said...

Can I do everything except leave out the herbs or will my oven just reject me?

Anonymous said...

il try them chef john... u know why??? cuz your the best!!!

Bret said...

Hi Chef,

I cannot believe you made this demo as I was looking for this exact recipe!!!! Only difference, I was thinking of doing it with a sage leaf in each chip. One question, can I deep fry them instead of baking?

You are the best!
Bret

Chef John said...

Won't work fried sorry!

Peletant Moments said...

Very Good