Sunday, May 16, 2010

What to Do with Fava Beans [insert Silence of the Lambs joke here]

I'm in San Antonio for one more day, so in lieu of a new video (btw, you'll see a fantastic asparagus recipe Monday), I decided to link to this fava bean how-to. Fava beans are one of my favorite spring vegetables, but many people just don't know how to prepare them.

They do take a little bit of work, but you've never let that stop you before. Click here to watch the fava bean fun. Enjoy, and see you soon!

5 comments:

Marco Barisione said...

If you can find some smaller ones (with a thinner skin) you should try eating them in the typical Ligurian way: just uncooked and with the skin on, together with some Parma ham and some fresh cheese.

Berge said...

They are usually made into a paste in the Turkish cuisine called bakla fava. Here's a recipe http://www.turkishcookbook.com/2005/05/fava.php

Anonymous said...

I just love these beans!! But I usually eat them with the skin still on (and not like you showed in the linked video where you took seeds out). I also usually cook them in their pods, in a salty water. Then the beans come out so smooth that they melt in your mouth!
Mmmm.. Just love them! :)

Alberto said...

I'll bring the chianti...

joking aside...
I've never really tried fava beans, I'll have to look them up in my supermarket... have seen it grilled in casing and all in Saveur magazine...

not sure if that is a well looked up too magazine.
but I like what they feature more than other food magazines.

Anonymous said...

Oh Chef John, I hope you get a chance to visit the HEB Central Market out there. It's really a foodie heaven. Check it out! 4821 Broadway St
San Antonio, TX 78209