Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Eggy Potato and Pepper Pie - Breakfast, it's What's for Dinner

This really should have been called a frittata, but I've already done a frittata video recipe, and I'm tired of giving everything European names. Sure they made all these recipes first, but they had like a few thousand years head start, so it's hardly fair.

By the way, this video recipe doesn't have a voice-over (I wasn't in the mood), and there is no written recipe (I wasn't in the mood). I can’t confirm or deny that this has anything to do with my brunoise-sized stock portfolio.

This is simply meant to remind you that a big, broiled omelet makes a great (and cheap) dinner. This is one of my favorite combos - potatoes, sausage, peppers and eggs. This recipe can also be cut into squares and served room temperature as party snacks (a popular item in Spanish tapas bars). And, the real measure of any recipe…the leftovers are delicious in a sandwich (with some ketchup of course). To paraphrase Homer Simpson, "Eggy Potato and Pepper Pie…is this anything you can't do?" Enjoy!


20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Buy into local stock. Apple is pretty cheap now. Besides that, delicious video.

Connie T. said...

This looks really good, but your voice and personality make the videos great.

PrimeBrit said...

I agree with Connie. I come here to hear you speak and inspire ;) Good looking dish though!

Anonymous said...

Great dish, great music, but it is just not the same without your voice which is always inspiring us to do wonderful things with food.

Anonymous said...

I prefer this "instrumental" videos from time to time :D

I think it breaks the habit and really... I sure did like the music... and I don''t even like that... jazz music is it eh?

Helge said...

I actually make this on a regular basis but no cheese and only three eggs. Only spice I use is a pinch of salt.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you're not in the mood. Just wanted you to know... I'm still in the mood for you! You are one of the best parts of my day :-)
Go take a long walk in that beautiful California sunshine and think of us waaaaayy up north. We'll be shovelling snow and trying to keep warm for the next five months(and hoping we can still afford to heat our shacks). A soup recipe would really hit the spot.

Anonymous said...

Chef,

Were those potatoes pre-cooked?

Chef John said...

no, i cooked them in the pan with the sausage

FUN4FRENDZ said...

That was an amazing post !!

Regards
http://theyummyfood.com

Anonymous said...

are there any alternatives to the peppers?

Chef John said...

zucchini, mushrooms, asparagus, etc

Journey to Losing Me... said...

Soooooo good, and just like you said, so easy... I loved it!...

Shima911 said...

must try this

Unknown said...

I loved it! But what is the name of that catchy background tune? :)

M.E. in Dubai said...

Yummy. But what kind of sausage did you use?

Susan Chin said...

Hi Chef John,

I wonder what kind of frying pan that you are using? Is it frying pan with rubber handle or a stainless steel handle. The reason I ask this question is because I want to make sure the pan first before I put into the oven and broil. I have 2 type of frying pan, i.e. 1 with rubber handle (Rachel Ray brand) and another 1 is with stainless steel handle (KitchenAid brand).

Hope to hear from you soon. Have a great day....

Chef John said...

I don't remember, but it doesn't matter since the metal part of the pan is under the heat, not the handle. Also, those rubber handles are heatproof and don't melt anyway. enjoy!

Unknown said...

Hey Chef John!
I love your breakfast videos with eggs, because I would die halfway through my day without eggs and they can become boring! This is such a good one, and versatile. question is - is this a recipe I can make ahead and warm up piece by piece in the mornings? If not - do you have any ideas for make ahead breakfasts with eggs?

Unknown said...

My 11 year old son made this for dinner today. He had a ball and actually ate it too. Thanks Chef John!