Friday, June 26, 2009

I Could Live on Bread Alone (If it was Aioli Garlic Bread!)

As promised, here's an easy, beautiful, and delicious garlic bread recipe featuring the homemade aioli I showed you a couple days ago. If you think about it, there's really no such thing as "leftover" aioli; just aioli you just haven’t used yet.

I've already sung the praises of aioli's versatile and promiscuous nature. Hooking-up
(do people still say that?) with all kinds of savory ingredients is just what it does. When applied to some bread, and baked crisp with a pinch of cheese, this garlicky spread really shows it's more than just an easy cold sauce.

I mentioned it in the video recipe, but I'll repeat it here; this is not an overpowering, intense garlic experience. Since the garlic is pulverized in the sauce, when it bakes it cooks very quickly, and the sharp, peppery flavors turn soft and sweet.

If you want a more traditional garlic bread flavor, simply add some chopped garlic to the spread. The other issue here is butter, or lack there of. I like butter, I like it a lot, but when it comes to garlic bread, I'm an olive oil kind of guy.

I don't think you'll miss the butter since the egg yolk in the aioli gives it a beautiful buttery color, and adds a nice, subtle richness.

Make some aioli, use it for a few days, and then get some bread and give this try. Crisp green salad sold separately. Enjoy!



Ingredients:
French bread
aioli
grated Parmesan Reggiano
fresh Italian parsley

20 comments:

Chanelle said...

Mouth watering...... taste buds rejoicing. I know what I'm having for dinner tonight.

Anonymous said...

bee-u-tee-full!

maria said...

great blog!!! :))

Anonymous said...

I made your aioli an used it just the way you said to make garlic bread and i made the ice cream planter with a sirloin roast,roasted brocoli with lemon olive oil n thyme an parm reg ,and um roast cauliflower to ,baked potatoes to was all a big hit thanks John

Chef John said...

now that's a dinner!

Yubi Shines said...

Right, garlic bread's in the oven right now -- I'm doing it at a slightly lower temperature for longer, since I like it a little more toasted, and also because my family is a bit paranoid about raw eggs. (By "a bit", I mean my mother told me I could either freeze the leftover aioli or throw it out because it would go bad tomorrow. Oh, well.) At any rate, thanks for the recipe! I anticipate much crunchy garlicky goodness.

Guat said...

man that is a must in every barbecue here in brazil
you never answer me but that`s ok
ilove u any way
you should do at least one brasilian recipy i could give u tousands of it ....
i`ll send you again a sun meat with pirao recipe...try it you`ll love it
hugs from brasil
:)

Chef John said...

you gotta love old people

Chris K. said...

Usually I bake garlic bread with butter, mayo and cheese in foil, then broil it. But this was nice! Lighter and not as greasy.

I bet it would make a mean bruschetta too...

Anonymous said...

Excellent stuff, thanks so much! Along with the toasted corn salad, this really transformed my tri tip and chicken souvlaki from merely good barbecue to a truly memorable meal.
Try this!

Anonymous said...

oops forgot wrapped some shrimp with lemon slices an chives an abit of thyme drizzled in olive oil an put in with the vegs at the end also the aioli is all gone never made it to noon an it wasnt me lol

Asian-Malaysian said...

This is pure genius. The lemon juice in the aioli lifts the garlic bread to a whole new level cutting through the salty garlic and cheese notes. I even grate (just a little) of the lemon peel into the aioli for more of that lemony zing. It sounds odd but it works really well.

maitino said...

Mmmmmmmmm!!

test it comm said...

Aioli garlic bread sounds really good. I just tried a garlic scape pesto garlic bread.

Kevin.K said...

wow my mouth was watering as I was watching that.. got to check out the Aioli recipe now, hope its not hard to do xD

Algis said...

My mouth is dr-aioli-ing...

Maui said...

Chef John! just made this tonight and I've got to say, there's no looking back to store bought garlic bread after this one! hehe.. any more suggestions where i can dress my aioli?

Anonymous said...

Gracias Chef John, the family loved it!

dawn from purposeful nourishment said...

Thanks so much for this recipe and for the instruction on aioli. I asked for and received a mortar and pestle for Christmas specifically to make aioli (I know, you can make it with modern appliances, but I like to do things the traditional way!) and made some tonight. It was amazing! I'm having some friends over for a luncheon Saturday and plan to make your Aioli Garlic Bread to go with our soup and salad. Can't wait!

I also added a link to this recipe in my blog post about making aioli, thanks soooo much!!

Chef John said...

You're welcome!! thank you!